Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which GPS?

Which GPS?

I fancy a new toy and a GPS seems to fit the bill here. What I want is a unit that will display mapping in terms of contours etc, it must display current position in OS grid. Also I need it to be fully compatible with software such as Anquet as I want to download travelled routes and upload routes I've plotted in Anquet.
    This must be a navigational GPS and not a training GPS such as Forerunner. Can you guys suggest a unit that exactly fits the requirements.

Re: Which GPS?

I'd sort of decided to buy a Garmin eTrex Legend Cx, but a bad run of household bills over christmas mean't it wasn't to be. The Garmin GS60Cx gets good reviews, but it's more expensive. Don't forget the cost of the Topo maps if you want more detailed mapping.

Whats a Topo map Dom? How much are they, where do you get em and what would I need?

With the Garmin units you get a map of the country built into the unit, but it's pretty basic. The Topo Maps can be loaded onto memory card on the unit to give a greater level of detail. You can't upload Anquet / Memorymap / Tracklogs to Garmin units, you can only use the built in maps, or the Garmin Topo map. You can download a plotted route - the waypoints to a GPS, or upload a route of where you've been to your PC.

Ah. Cheers Dom. Just to get this straight in my head, I cant plot a route on Anquet and then transfer it to a GPS but I can plot a route on Topo which is similar to OS and transfer it from there to a GPS. Have I got it?

First one, definately, second one, not sure.

Save a bit of cash and use the free topos from the Scottish Mountaineering Club:

http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jmacewan View Post
    Save a bit of cash and use the free topos from the Scottish Mountaineering Club:

http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm
    Brilliant, thanks for that

I have the basic Garmin etrex. It's fine, but you have to buy the lead to use with anquet and that costs a bit too, but I use it with Anquet and its amazingly simple.

I just turn it on, leave it in something like a mesh side pocket of my rucksack, or on my OMM sack have the holder taped up near the chest strap and run with it.

I rarely use it when out but it gives OS grid references, but the best bit is downloading to the map, its quite interesting looking where you've been. It's also quite scary how far it can be out in areas of dubious signal. It will locate you at several separate locations its picked you up from but these can be quite far away from where you actually were. Especially when you just turn it on.

It would be good if it could show you the margin error of each point on the map as well, generally this should be less than 10m, but in some areas it muct be quite large.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I have the basic Garmin etrex. It's fine, but you have to buy the lead to use with anquet and that costs a bit too, but I use it with Anquet and its amazingly simple.

I just turn it on, leave it in something like a mesh side pocket of my rucksack, or on my OMM sack have the holder taped up near the chest strap and run with it.

I rarely use it when out but it gives OS grid references, but the best bit is downloading to the map, its quite interesting looking where you've been. It's also quite scary how far it can be out in areas of dubious signal. It will locate you at several separate locations its picked you up from but these can be quite far away from where you actually were. Especially when you just turn it on.

It would be good if it could show you the margin error of each point on the map as well, generally this should be less than 10m, but in some areas it muct be quite large.
    Im still a bit confused here. When you say you use it with Anquet do you mean you upload routes from Anquet to GPS or download from GPS to Anquet or both?