Thread: Falling of a bike

Question Falling of a bike

Was out on Friday looking to do the full Skyline route as my last long one in prep for the race. All seemed to being going Ok, got to Mam nick in 2:30 but on the way up Rushup edge starting to struggle big time. Started to walk / jog to Brown knoll trig where I decided - blow this for a game of soldiers & walked down Jacobs ladder back to Edale.

Why did I bonk ? Conditions were a bit breezy in parts but not as bad as race day last year & I got round then Ok ish. My training runs prior to Friday were going reasonably well, or so I thought, - 17, 18.5 miles on Kinder. Had I not eaten adequatley on Thursday night ? Did I give up too easily ? Was it just one of those "bad day at the office" runs ?

Trouble is it has been gnawing at me since - to the extent where I want to have another attempt tomorrow, bearing in mind that it will be less than 7 days to race day, so that I know I will be reasonably confident on the start line next Sunday

Should I attempt the full route ? Or stick to the 2nd half & hope everything turn's out well on Sunday.

Your thoughts are most welcome

Re: Falling of a bike

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    Was out on Friday looking to do the full Skyline route as my last long one in prep for the race. All seemed to being going Ok, got to Mam nick in 2:30 but on the way up Rushup edge starting to struggle big time. Started to walk / jog to Brown knoll trig where I decided - blow this for a game of soldiers & walked down Jacobs ladder back to Edale.

Why did I bonk ? Conditions were a bit breezy in parts but not as bad as race day last year & I got round then Ok ish. My training runs prior to Friday were going reasonably well, or so I thought, - 17, 18.5 miles on Kinder. Had I not eaten adequatley on Thursday night ? Did I give up too easily ? Was it just one of those "bad day at the office" runs ?

Trouble is it has been gnawing at me since - to the extent where I want to have another attempt tomorrow, bearing in mind that it will be less than 7 days to race day, so that I know I will be reasonably confident on the start line next Sunday

Should I attempt the full route ? Or stick to the 2nd half & hope everything turn's out well on Sunday.

Your thoughts are most welcome
    Stick to the 2nd half, don't do too much so close, you'll be ok, Manhar, put it down to an off day, everyone has em and bad patches during a run. Its all different on the day with the atmosphere and company of a big event. I wanted to get a 30 miler under my belt before the hoblilhike but never got round to it. Cramp hit me before Stoodley Pike, if it had been a training run on my own, it would have been game over, but on the day and with some good company you can get through owt. Good luck, mate, i have confidence in you
    Hills and Guinness!

Thumbs up Re: Falling of a bike

Cheers Merry

The 2nd half it is then - At least I can have a lie in tomorrow morning & get to the pub sooner for 1 or 2 recuparative scoops

No I agree don't worry about it too much you will be OK Manhar, but by the way do you keep a training diary? They are really useful for occasions like that so you can see what might be the cause of an 'off day'. I put off using one for years on the grounds that I do enough bloody paperwork with my day job( ), but it has been really useful.

Errr... what's it got to do with falling off a bike?

Thumbs up Re: Falling of a bike

Grouse - When you was knee high to a grasshopper did your Dad not say to you - when you fell of your bike to get back on it again ?

Have started to use Sporttracks to record my runs so in the fullness of time will be able to see the highs & lows.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    Was out on Friday looking to do the full Skyline, but on the way up Rushup edge starting to struggle big time. Started to walk / jog to Brown knoll trig

i did the second half on friday morning, starting at edale.. and boy was it windy ! I also found it tough going up rushup edge and over brown knoll, as did the other runners i caught up with, so dont get too down hearted.

would stick to the second half at the very most with only a week to go....but thats my personal preference
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Not so very experienced at the longer runs but personally wouldn't worry about it too much and have the rest from such a distance. You can always give it that few more % on the day.

I find that if I have to have run the miles 2 weeks before a big race otherwise I don't seem to get any benefit from a blast out the week before.

Go figure!