Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making it pay

Master and MR

making it pay

how do sheep farmers make a living ?????????
    just been reading an article about a sheep farmer in edale and it talks about a countryside crisis.
    I think this is quite an important topic as t looks like more an more farms are in decline because now with the dismantling of state subsidy caused by over production in the EU sheep farmers are effectively selling to an open market now instead of a goverment guaranteed market if you like.
    Lamb prices are the same a they was 10yrs ago , very low for the hill farmer im told.
    Im not sure but i think the new way that they will be subsidised is that they have to do other things like maintain walls, hedges, treess etc etc.
    The younger generation wont have it.
    So who will maintain the hills.
    must be very hard for a farmer at this moment.

Is this why all te livestock on farms near me have built bloody stables got rid of sheep and cattle and just have horsey horse type renting land off them .and the horses knacker up the fields and paths.
    so how do sheep farmers make a living?????

Master

Re: making it pay

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    how do sheep farmers make a living ?????????
    just been reading an article about a sheep farmer in edale and it talks about a countryside crisis.
    I think this is quite an important topic as t looks like more an more farms are in decline because now with the dismantling of state subsidy caused by over production in the EU sheep farmers are effectively selling to an open market now instead of a goverment guaranteed market if you like.
    Lamb prices are the same a they was 10yrs ago , very low for the hill farmer im told.
    Im not sure but i think the new way that they will be subsidised is that they have to do other things like maintain walls, hedges, treess etc etc.
    The younger generation wont have it.
    So who will maintain the hills.
    must be very hard for a farmer at this moment.

Is this why all te livestock on farms near me have built bloody stables got rid of sheep and cattle and just have horsey horse type renting land off them .and the horses knacker up the fields and paths.
    so how do sheep farmers make a living?????
    You've already answered it Daz H.Whenever subsidies are on offer,people have to change their business activities,so they can become subsidised. If that means farmers taking down walls and growing hedges for the incentives,then that's what they'll do.

We should stop financing the European union, start de-regulating and then get rid of the welfare state.When that happens farmers will compete on a level field , and then provide the market with what it really wants.

We don't want wool anymore. One of the saddest things I ever saw was a mound of burning fleeces in Seathwaite about 10 years ago. The public wants all Lake District farms to be holiday accomodation. They don't want anything the farmers can produce. When the last farmer has left the dales we'll regret it CL. We should support them any way we can.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    We don't want wool anymore. One of the saddest things I ever saw was a mound of burning fleeces in Seathwaite about 10 years ago. The public wants all Lake District farms to be holiday accomodation. They don't want anything the farmers can produce. When the last farmer has left the dales we'll regret it CL. We should support them any way we can.
    yeah never thought of us not wanting wool
    you dont realise
    does anyone know how much a lamb fetches nowadays ????
    or even better does anyone know where i can buy lamb direct from the farm , is this possible.
    it must be surely

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    It's all the bureaucracy that's destroying farming Guick.If the farmers were left alone and government stopped financing their competitors abroad,they would be able to supply the goods we need.

Admittedly those goods may change at certain times, in line with market forces and technological advancement.Farmers know this and can deal with it,provided the government stop interfering.

you dont realise
    or even better does anyone know where i can buy lamb direct from the farm , is this possible.
    it must be surely
    Daz - a friend of mine has bought meat from the link below, he said it was excellent, it supports a Wasdale valley farmer and comes insulated in wool! What more could you ask for??

http://www.wasdalefellmeats.co.uk/index.htm

Master

you dont realise
    it must be surely
    Yes you can.I know someone who visited a farm, and was offered half a lamb.Don't know how much.

I don't like wearing wool clothing(apart from gloves), irritates my skin.Great for keeping hands warm, on their own, or as an underglove.

Plenty of farmers up here in the dales sell there own meat, was up in Buckden the other day and the farmer who i know at Heber farm that is just by the start of the Buckden fell race as a board out side advertising half a lamb for £40.

Quote Originally Posted by markmc View Post
    Plenty of farmers up here in the dales sell there own meat, was up in Buckden the other day and the farmer who i know at Heber farm that is just by the start of the Buckden fell race as a board out side advertising half a lamb for £40.
    http://www.peakchoice.co.uk/ - This is what you need Daz.

...and also plenty of Farmer's Markets near you http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.c...ersmarkets.htm

Master and MR

always a choice its just knowing where to get it from i suppose
    thanks