Thread: Exciting adventures

Exciting adventures

Just done 4 days down the River Spey in canadian canoes.
    Aviemore to the coast at Spey Bay.
    Seen Ospreys, Hen Harrier, Otter, Sand Martins, Golden Eye Ducks and plenty of wild water, and one or two wild fly fishermen .
    What other adventures have forumites completed?

Super Moderator

Re: Exciting adventures

Quote Originally Posted by PlumBum View Post
    Just done 4 days down the River Spey in canadian canoes.
    Aviemore to the coast at Spey Bay.
    Seen Ospreys, Hen Harrier, Otter, Sand Martins, Golden Eye Ducks and plenty of wild water, and one or two wild fly fishermen .
    Drove over from Wharfedale to Manchester airport last Thursday evening - well scary!

Your canoe trip sounds ace PB

A couple of weeks ago I drove from Settle to Edinburgh and back in the same day, taking the totally off piste 'as the crow flies' route. I went Settle, Ribblehead, Hawes, Kirkby Stephen, Middleton on Teesdale, Stanhope (Weardale), Corbridge, up the straightest, undulating-est road in the world into darkest Northumberland and Kielder, over the border to Sconny Botland, through the borders to Jedburgh and then eventually Edinburgh. And then the same in reverse. A truly stunning journey and fantastic to drive (excepting the speed cameras every 200 yards once across the border).

I didn't see one car until Kirby Stephen where I picked up three. These turned off at Brough leaving me with two totally lonesome and awesome moor crossings into Teesdale and then Weardale. Traffic picked up for a while on the A68 but disappeared gain in Northumbria.

Fantastic if you enjoy driving

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Traffic picked up for a while on the A68 but disappeared gain in Northumbria.

Fantastic if you enjoy driving
    Came back via Falkirk Wheel, Edinburgh, Carter Bar and Hexham and back down A68.
    A nice road to drive.

Impressed with Falkirk Wheel. Anyone with an interest in Engineering and / or canals would be worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumBum View Post
    How about (non)adventures? I turned down the chance to go to Zimbabwe t'other week, mum-in-law is there at the mo'.....

C'mon Derby Tup, you're in the orient. There must be an interesting story somewhere?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    How about (non)adventures? I turned down the chance to go to Zimbabwe t'other week, mum-in-law is there at the mo'.....

C'mon Derby Tup, you're in the orient. There must be an interesting story somewhere?
    Not a lot to report really jodj - feeling rough after last night's lobster half watching classic Bollywood films on the TV in my room at the Pearl Continental (affectionately known as the PC by everyone in Karachi) and debating whether to go downstairs to get a coffee. Hardly rock and roll

Jura t'other week - it's an adventure just getting up there. Actually I am really itching to do some canoeing or kayaking - the sea kayaks that people go over to Jura on look ace. I have been wondering where to get hold of one of those old fashioned kayaks the fibreglass ones like the ones that used to gather dust in the gym at our school. Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap start in kayaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Jura t'other week - it's an adventure just getting up there. Actually I am really itching to do some canoeing or kayaking - the sea kayaks that people go over to Jura on look ace. I have been wondering where to get hold of one of those old fashioned kayaks the fibreglass ones like the ones that used to gather dust in the gym at our school. Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap start in kayaking?
    Watch this space... next time that's us arriving...
    There is a very cunning KFR plan!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Super Moderator

In Abu Dhabi on way home from Karachi. Fancied a nice cold beer but been in mini-bar in hotel room and best can manage is a mango-flavour non-alcoholic Becks! 8^((