Thread: Beginner Fell Shoes

Post Beginner Fell Shoes

Anyone have a recommendation for a fell/ trail shoe for beginners? Preferably relatively inexpensive, and I needn't ave anything too elaborate as most of my off-roading will be done on small hills or slightly bumpy fields.

Any ideas would be much appreciated
    I'm just helping others to feel the glory of winning....

Re: Beginner Fell Shoes

Mizuno Wave Harriers. Material upper, medium studs. I switched to these recently after 3 years of Inov8s and they're really comfy. They stay wet though but that's neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things....

I agree. Bought Wave Harriers recently to replace some Inov 8's and find them excellent for trails, and easy hills. Bit lethal on slippery rocks though.

Good man! Then again, there's not that much that will adhere to smooth, wet rock.

Also found that the Mizuno's are a bit limited on steep grassy descents. The studs aren't big enough!

Originally i didn't train in specific off road shoes, and don't remember sliding around or falling over very often when training on the fells or in very boggy and muddy orienteering courses. I think perhaps my running style adapted to the lack of grip.

Now I'm using Inov8 mudclaw 270s and mudroc 280s. If I ever go running in mud without them, I slide all over the place! On really muddy well trodden mud hills, even the in mudrocs I seem to be going 1 step forward 2 steps back.

But I have never slipped over in the mudclaws and find the grip superb. Sadly, most runs I do include a little bit of harder rock or tarmac for which their grip is useless and just gets worn down.

So normally I would say get the most extreme grip you can find to achieve the most efficient running on hills and awful mud! But in reality a happy medium such as the mudrocs are good as they take more wear and tear from hard tracks.

So I bought both!
    God made the Hills!!
    Feel Awe!!
    My Blog

thanks very much fellas, i'll keep all that in mind.... do you think running bear in alderley edge will sell these?
    I'm just helping others to feel the glory of winning....