Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: navigation on LDWA events

Re: navigation on LDWA events

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Well how did it go Moley which of the above methods were most usefull
    Route description was pretty good, in fact I wouldn't have had a hope in hell on a 1:50,000 in that terrain. Plus the rain + gales + excessive mud.

Only a couple of minor errors after dark with 'interpretation' of description. Interestingly, I think I spotted where the person writing the description changed (I may be wrong, perhaps it was one guy only for the whole route - but I doubt it). The first half had more relevant detail to it, things that one spotted and mattered, whereas the second half was slightly less detailed, which meant looking about a bit at some junctions etc.

And yes, the Missus got round her first 50, and tough it was too, never seen mud like it for final 20 miles
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master

Sounds like it was fun Moley and possibly more challenging (navigation wise) than open moors and fells.

Pass my congratulations on to the Missus i cant seem to get mine to go above 26 miles.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Give me open moors and fell any day for navigation, I found it far too fiddly to really stretch the legs and enjoy. But job done and sorted, her first 50.

Just a matter of correct application of carrot and stick - they will get round any distance then
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

The promise of a pint will always do it for me! (Mind you, for a FIFTY, it may have to be 2 pints!)

Well done Mrs Molehill
    I think I'll walk this bit....

Sorry to jump in, but I have a question that is not related to race maps, but can't seem to work out how to start a new thread!!

Do people prefer OS or Harvey Maps?

Seems to be pro's and con's to both.

Cheers

DMc

Quote Originally Posted by davemac View Post
    Sorry to jump in, but I have a question that is not related to race maps, but can't seem to work out how to start a new thread!!

Cheers

DMc
    On mountain / fell terrain, I find Harvey much clearer and the contour detail is more accurate that OS.
    OS is much too cluttered with boundary details, excessive hatching for crags and other really useful stuff like thick purple lines round National Park boundaries!
    However, Harvey do not show all field boundaries and OS do at 1:25000, which can be useful sometimes.
    However, both will do the job. Most of my Munro trips have been completed using OS 1:50000.

Quote Originally Posted by davemac View Post

depends. I like the BMC Harvey map for snowdonia, all on one map. having the walls marked on the open fell is handy,they are light, clear, coloured contours to show ground type, but you do lose some detail as the contours are every 15m. Not that robust though.

I think the OS 1:50k the general relief on the ground screams out at you, but the 1:25k are great for really fine nav work, but then you have a lot of map out with you and it can also contain so much detail it takes you a while to see the wood for the trees sort of thing.

Horses for courses, IMO. When we do the munro's we use 1:50's as there's more munro's per map so cheaper overall, but then on the Cuillin I'd want to have a 1:25k.

Thanks for the advice/feedback, useful to know.

As I am just starting out on the navigation side of things I will probably go for the OS 1:25000 to see how I get on, as I can get one from my local library for free!!

The Harvey Maps are reduced on Amazon at the moment so I may get one of these to compare.

Thanks again.

DMc