View Poll Results: Death penalty -yes or no

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • For the death penalty

55 100.00%
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Sentence

Death Sentence

This might seem a bit heavy for the Forum but I would be keen to hear your views following a very heated discussion with friends.

Following yet another senseless murder http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7316601.stm should we bring back the Death penalty for some crimes. I don't really want to discuss individual cases just in principal are you for or against. There are plenty of educated and opinionated forumites out there, what do you think

Re: Death Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    This might seem a bit heavy for the Forum but I would be keen to hear your views following a very heated discussion with friends.

Following yet another senseless murder http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7316601.stm should we bring back the Death penalty for some crimes. I don't really want to discuss individual cases just in principal are you for or against. There are plenty of educated and opinionated forumites out there, what do you think
    Tricky one this, Ian. Things seem to have gone downhill since they sacked smacking, caning etc in schools, there is no deterent anymore, you can get away with murder now. People have no respect for each other. When i was at school, when i got the cane, which was often, cos i was a right tearaway, if i went home and told my dad, he'd have knocked me into the middle of next week. These days they claim compensation for that. Too many do-gooders and too many yobs on the street that need a good slap
    Last edited by stevefoster; 27-03-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: i was caned a lot
    Hills and Guinness!

Joliver Jim

This particular case has really affected our family. We live near the park where the attack happened. I feel so very angry about it. The vermin who did it should be shot. It was a vile, vile attack on an innocent couple and we're sickened by it.

I used to regularly take the children running on that park. The whole thing has bothered them too.

It is always wrong to take a life.

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Tricky one this
    there is no deterent anymore
    i got the cane, which was often, cos i was a right tearaway
    Remind me again about how the deterrent thing works?

It's happening far more frequently isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Give us a kiss, i love ya
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Joliver Jim View Post
    This particular case has really affected our family. We live near the park where the attack happened. I feel so very angry about it. The vermin who did it should be shot. It was a vile, vile attack on an innocent couple and we're sickened by it.

I used to regularly take the children running on that park. The whole thing has bothered them too.
    You try to shield children from this, but it seems impossible these days, its everywhere. Talking of parks, took my kids to the park today, litter, empty beer cans, remains of a fire and used durex. 'Daddy, whats that?' 'Its only a slug, lets go on the swings'
    Hills and Guinness!

Well I'm against the death penalty.

I'm not saying that certain people don't deserve it but just look at the system in the US - convicted murderers are killed sometime 20 years after the crime after all sorts of legal tooing and froing. And then they use various systems of killing the convicts, all of which are cold blooded themselves and borderline barbaric. On the flip side there have been so many false convictions that could lead to the state murdering innocent victims.

And those kids in Bacup, although utter bastards, wouldn't be executed anyway because of their ages.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    The way it works is that the punishment puts people off doing it.

I am not pro death penalty any more than you but I'm not so liberal as to pretend not to understand.