View Poll Results: Are they the pits or what?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • No there great

14 100.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supermarkets bad or what?

Banned

Re: Supermarkets bad or what?

Before all the large supermarkets we used to return pop bottles and beer bottles to the local shop. They would be washed and re-used.

Surly this is a cheaper option than smashing them in a bottle bank and remaking the glass?

Fresh fruit and veg does go off doesn't it? You are supposed to eat it - that's the point surely. I thought a lot of supermarket produce had crap sprayed on it to prolong shelf life? I think there is a connection between supermarkets and the vast amount of plastic packaging that is used - they put a lot of effort on producers to make things as streamlined and easy for them (and us) at the point of sale.

I'm about 2 mile outside Blackburn towards Chorley and I'm afraid the only "corner shops" are mini-supermarkets. Coop, Spar etc.

The problem was that when ASDAs started springing up in the 70's, everyone started flocking to them and the rot set in.

I do not see supermarkets as these large evil entities, trampling all before them. They are a one stop shop that save time - and when you see the prices generally in independant shops, they save money as well.

However, I would like the option, and whenever in Bacup, always pop in to Gregorys, my old butchers.
    So fo me, I would like to see more traditional greencrocers, butchers, bakers and maybe we draw a line now for the supermarkets and say no more new ones if within 10 miles of an existing one.
    Rawtenstall is crazy now - why does the area need 2 Tescos a mile apart and an ASDA as well?