Thread: new and in milton keynes

new and in milton keynes

Hi, I've been running for about 18 months exclusively on road and have recently been reading up on fell running, it sounds great and a lot more enjoyable than roads and I would love to give it a go and hopefully enter my first event later on this year.

problem is, I live in milton keynes and have no idea where I could train locally. Is there anyone who lives nearby that knows of any good locations or fell clubs in the area.

Re: new and in milton keynes

Hi, I've just joined today and am in a similar position. Only I am in Kent, which very flat! Did you have any luck with any recommendations from people for where you could practice locallay?

There's a forumite who runs for Milton Keynes AC - Raymond Hickman, though I believe he actually divides his time between Sussex & MK - could be worth sending him a Private Message?

I used the live in a village (Quainton) 7 or so miles northwest of Aylesbury, and maybe 20 miles south of Milton Keynes. I did most of my running then on the Chiltern escarpment - Wendover Woods, Chequers, Combe Hill. Nearer to you though there's Dunstable Downs and Ivinghoe Beacon - there must be some good runs around there to sniff out.

alright lads, I live in Frieth, a small village in the Chilterns near Marlow and Wycombe. Its pretty hilly round here, as it is in most of the Chilterns, although nowhere near as hilly as oop north. I've got a 7 miler I do thats got 11ooft of ascent in it so would be classed as a BM fell race.

I'm a member of Dark Peak and my local club Handy Cross but if you're looking for a club that runs on the fells down here Tring have a number of runners who regularly appear in fell races (and do well) so I'd advise you to contact them as I bet they do 'fell specific' training and have cars going to quite a few of the races.

Hello Mick - there are a few of us at MKAC who do fell races; and a couple who do them rather well. For example there's four of us doing the 3 Peaks at the end of April, and another couple off to Snowdon later on. We also enter the Calderdale Way Relay in December, even managing two teams of 12 runners in 2007. Why not come along to the club, try it out, and see what you think.

I'm at club training sessions most Tuesday nights, and Brian Groves (a man with many many years experience in the hills and mountains) is always about.

All the best - Raymond

p.s. It's not far up the motorway from MK to Edale...start training and planning now for the 2009 Skyline!