Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Jackets

Blizzard Jackets

I've used a Blizzard jacket a number of times over the last few years and it is surprisingly warm for its weight. It's hardly fashionable and amongst my friends is referred to as the baked potato jacket . Now that they are available with sleeves it is completely waterproof. Can it be carried instead of a conventional waterproof during fell races, as I often prefer to run in a windproof?
    At 250g and about as warm as a lightweigh duvet jacket the Blizzard jackets make excellent emergency garments. They will fit in a standard bum bag.

Available from lots of reputable UK shops!
    Last edited by macc ladd; 04-04-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Re: Blizzard Jackets

looks a good site cheers
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Quote Originally Posted by FurTech View Post
    Can it be carried instead of a conventional waterproof during fell races, as I often prefer to run in a windproof?
    Point is, when does a windproof become a waterproof (it's a very fine line)? I love to run in my Buffalo windshirt and use it as a waterproof shell although I get "null point" for style. Then again, how windproof are waterproofs???

Round and round it goes.....
    Last edited by jodg; 22-04-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Got "windproof are waterproofs" the wrong way round!

I always thought that if it was waterproof it would be windproof too, but I stand to be corrected.

I was out in a Gore windstopper the other weekend and got drenched. Of course part of being wet is being all hot 'n' sweaty on the inside and, as we all know, after running for any prolonged time you're pretty much soaking regardless. Gore top was OK (felt comfortable) but couldn't stand up to the continuous downpour.

Mind you, not many things can!

In dry but cold windy weather I feel warmer in my windproof - I think its the material which is less shiny and I don't sweat as much either. Ironically I get wetter wearing my waterproof in dry weather

In the wet my waterproof keeps me much dryer..... but after an hour or two it probablly makes me wetter than my non-waterproof windproof

Stolly, my head is spinning after that!!!

By far the best 'waterproof material' for breathing is event. I've had numerous types of waterproofs but my current one is far and away the best for ventilation/non sweating and its made of event fabric. Numerous companies do jackets in event material including Montane.

Best waterproof top I ever had was a Sprayway lightweight jacket that I bought back in 1997 (when I used to MB a bit). Resurrected it for TOP and Tankys in 2006 and it served me well.

Actually, it's gonna be the "waterproof jacket" piece of my PPP kit on Sat! Ask me - I'll introduce you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I always thought that if it was waterproof it would be windproof too, but I stand to be corrected.
    I can't think of a single waterproof that isn't wind proof. Windproofs are by definition only windproof or they would be sold as such at a higher price. To make a windproof 'Waterproof' it has to be treated and have it's seams sealed as if water can get through a seam it's not waterproof. Please do not argue that you can treat your windproof with a treatment such as products supplied by Nixwax or Grangers as they can only make them water repellant!! which is ok as it will make the garment lighter as it will shed water more easily.

You can retreat a waterproof with the same products to make water bead up on them and reduce 'wetting out'

However some garments use a slightly different system that make them waterproof with out sealing the sea, Ie Paramo.

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    I was out in a Gore windstopper the other weekend and got drenched. Of course part of being wet is being all hot 'n' sweaty on the inside and, as we all know, after running for any prolonged time you're pretty much soaking regardless. Gore top was OK (felt comfortable) but couldn't stand up to the continuous downpour.

Mind you, not many things can!
    Unless the specs have changed and I'm sure they won't have Gore windstopper is not waterproof! Sorry jan

Ta Ian, v. comprehensive (as usual!).

The Gore garment is similar to Buffalo in that you're meant to wear it next to the skin so relying on the layer of moisture to provide some insulation. Does what it says on the, errm, tin...