Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Taylor

Thomas Taylor

This email received - can anyone help??

Hello

My name is Bruce Parkin and I am doing some research into my family history.

I am looking for information on my Great Uncle, Thomas Taylor, born 1874, died 1963. He lived at Compston Road Ambleside.

A soldier in the Boer War, who later lost an eye, I met him when I was ten in 1950.
    He told me that he was the (a) World Unbeaten Champion Fell racer having won against (I think) an Italian runner who’s name began with “C” (unsure about this). He said no one could ever surpass his feat as, after his win, the route was changed and made less difficult.

I remember seeing photographs of him with his cups and medals so his story has some merit.

Do you have any access to records that might substantiate his story or do you know of anyone who might hold that information?

I look forward to hearing from you

Yours truly,

Bruce Parkin

Re: Thomas Taylor

I think i found his eye...........

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post

One for GrahamB methinks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    One for GrahamB methinks!!
    I don't think he's that old!

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I don't think he's that old!
    Thought you said he'd had enough birthdays, already, oh no, iv'e turned jewish
    Hills and Guinness!

I am looking for information on my Great Uncle, Thomas Taylor, born 1874, died 1963. He lived at Compston Road Ambleside.

He told me that he was the (a) World Unbeaten Champion Fell racer having won against (I think) an Italian runner who’s name began with “C” (unsure about this). He said no one could ever surpass his feat as, after his win, the route was changed and made less difficult.
    Here are the results of the Grasmere Guides race for Tommy Taylor:

1897 4th
    1898 1st
    1899 1st
    1901 Taylor was indisposed (bout of flu)
    1902 Taylor did not compete

The "Italian" would have been the local Guides runner and former champion Tom Conchie from Shap(winner in 1894, 1895, 1896 and 1897). He set the best time for the original course up Silverhowe of 14 min, 26 sec. in 1896.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmere Sports. 1898
    Taylor won the Guides race easily and his official time was 14 minutes 39.5 seconds, but some give it as 14' 21.5" which was inside Conchie's record set two years previously.
    Source: Grasmere Sports. The First 150 Years.

The book "See the Conquering Hero Comes" says that "..in the absense of the champion hill climber, Tommy Taylor (Skelwith) who is a present in South Africa..." for the 1900 event.

Another early book is "Some Records of the Annual Grasmere Sports" published in 1911.

The course was changed in 1904 from Silverhowe to Butter Crags.

Copies of these books are available here.
    Last edited by XRunner; 03-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    The prices being asked for the books are ridiculous. Bruce, if you get in touch with me direct (go to my web site http://grasmeresportsandshow.co.uk/ContactUs/index.asp
    or click on contact/author) I'll have a look through all my files and see what I can find out about Tommy Taylor over and above what is in the book(s). During my research I took photocopies of all the Sports events from 1852 onwards, taken from the Westmorland Gazette and there may well be some details worth exploring that never made it through lack of space. I also have copies of the pages from the original records (handwritten) which may well be of interest just from a family history point of view
    Incidentally, only about 30 copies of the 'Grasmere Sports - The First 150 Years' book remain, since 500 were destroyed before binding - now the subject of a court case. Anyone prepared to pay £25 plus (surface mail)postage from Spain is welcome to a (signed) copy.
    In return Bruce if you have any photos or background family history about Tommy, I'd be interested in getting hold of copies, because if I win what I am seeking in my court case (which I will), an Ebook version alternative may be something to think about. Altenatively, I'm sure there are plenty of library copies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Here are the results of the Grasmere Guides race for Tommy Taylor:

1897 4th
    1898 1st
    1899 1st
    1901 Taylor was indisposed (bout of flu)
    1902 Taylor did not compete

The "Italian" would have been the local Guides runner and former champion Tom Conchie from Shap(winner in 1894, 1895, 1896 and 1897). He set the best time for the original course up Silverhowe of 14 min, 26 sec. in 1896.

Source: Grasmere Sports. The First 150 Years.

The book "See the Conquering Hero Comes" says that "..in the absense of the champion hill climber, Tommy Taylor (Skelwith) who is a present in South Africa..." for the 1900 event.

Another early book is "Some Records of the Annual Grasmere Sports" published in 1911.

The course was changed in 1904 from Silverhowe to Butter Crags.

Copies of these books are available here.
    Tommy Taylors winnining time for the 1899 race was 14 min, 45 seconds and also in the 1898 race Taylors rival Tom Conchie did not compete owing to a injured leg.

Quote Originally Posted by markmc View Post
    ... in the 1898 race Taylors rival Tom Conchie did not compete owing to a injured leg.
    Tom Conchie was the eldest of a family of nine and his brother Charlie who, despite the loss of an arm, also became a well- known athlete. Tom was employed at Shap granite works, breaking granite which was considered a very hard job. He trained with his brother on Shap Pike and frequently ran exhibition runs for visitors at Shap Well Hotel. He was considered the undisputed champion of the period from 1894 to 1900. Other races to his credit are the winning of the Pooley Bridge fell race seven years in succession, Bowness six years in succession, and Grasmere five times in all.

His real name was McConchie but the Mc was later dropped.

SourceS: "See the Conquering Hero Comes" and "Stud Mark on The Summits".
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Tom Conchie was the eldest of a family of nine and his brother Charlie who, despite the loss of an arm, also became a well- known athlete. Tom was employed at Shap granite works, breaking granite which was considered a very hard job. He trained with his brother on Shap Pike and frequently ran exhibition runs for visitors at Shap Well Hotel. He was considered the undisputed champion of the period from 1894 to 1900. Other races to his credit are the winning of the Pooley Bridge fell race seven years in succession, Bowness six years in succession, and Grasmere five times in all.

His real name was McConchie but the Mc was later dropped.

SourceS: "See the Conquering Hero Comes" and "Stud Mark on The Summits".
    correct full marks