Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cairngorms

Cairngorms

Has any one ran/walked the 13 munros listed in the Cairngorm section of the Munro book and if so how far is it.

Is there a favoured starting point Glenmore lodge- Linn of Dee? or even a known route. Thinking of doing this is early May as a possible training session over a (long)weekend.

IS this possible or is it just too far?

I've done loads of stuff in Scotland but not really looked at the Cairngorms before.

If any one is interested in joining me I'll welcome the company.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Cairgorms

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Gej
    Brilliant, just what I wanted to see, I'll have a word with Bob Berzins as he's a DPFR

Not sure I'll want to try it in 24 hours but might do it over two day like an MM.

Any one fancy it

Smile Re: Cairgorms

That looks a brilliant round, good luck! Am envious!!

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Has any one ran/walked the 13 munros listed in the Cairngorm section of the Munro book and if so how far is it.

Is there a favoured starting point Glenmore lodge- Linn of Dee? or even a known route. Thinking of doing this is early May as a possible training session over a (long)weekend.

I've done loads of stuff in Scotland but not really looked at the Cairngorms before.

More recently Bob Berzins (your club??) has done it and his round made an article in fell runner - Ive got his schedule somewhere if you are interested

Im planning to do them this summer, but as an out and back with an overnight
    at braemar.

Hi - I'm heading up to Braemar the week after next for a holiday with the wife (and both sets of parents ) and have a day pass for a day in the hills ...
    I'm looking for a scenic circular route from Braemar circa 25-30 miles if anyone can help?
    Wanting fairly straightforward nav but other than that anything goes. I've had a look at a map and was thinking an acw route via Morrone / lochnagar / ballochbuie forest.
    Any better suggestions or advice please?
    Cheers

Ian,
    Rigby's round has 18 munros. His S/F was at the Glenmore Youth Hostel, Bob Berzins did a shorter route from the skiing centre car park, missing out the long low level/road section. I did one from Glenmore in 2009 and one from the skiing centre in 2011, in mixed weather conditions, both over 24 hours, different routes each time. I have prepared a third (better I hope) route but I am not sure when I may be able to fit it in. I can email you details. Rob Woodall did a 22ish hour traverse a couple of years ago. Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Ian,
    Rigby's round has 18 munros. His S/F was at the Glenmore Youth Hostel, Bob Berzins did a shorter route from the skiing centre car park, missing out the long low level/road section. I did one from Glenmore in 2009 and one from the skiing centre in 2011, in mixed weather conditions, both over 24 hours, different routes each time. I have prepared a third (better I hope) route but I am not sure when I may be able to fit it in. I can email you details. Rob Woodall did a 22ish hour traverse a couple of years ago. Yiannis
    My post is very old Yiannis.

Me and Nicky had a crack at it before Rob. We were beaten back by heavy rain, snow and iced rocks during the night then strong winds during the day. I still rate it as my best day on the hills ever. We did 14 munros and around 55 miles in 22 hours. missing out the western 4. I sent our route to Rob who played with it a bit.

Nickys pics
    http://www.runbg.co.uk/Images/2009/M...mpt/index.html

My post is very old Yiannis.

Me and Nicky had a crack at it before Rob. We were beaten back by heavy rain, snow and iced rocks during the night then strong winds during the day. I still rate it as my best day on the hills ever. We did 14 munros and around 55 miles in 22 hours. missing out the western 4. I sent our route to Rob who played with it a bit.

Nickys pics
    http://www.runbg.co.uk/Images/2009/M...mpt/index.html
    Wow! I knew about your outing with Nicky in bad weather! How silly of me!

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    Hi - I'm heading up to Braemar the week after next for a holiday with the wife (and both sets of parents ) and have a day pass for a day in the hills ...
    I'm looking for a scenic circular route from Braemar circa 25-30 miles if anyone can help?
    Wanting fairly straightforward nav but other than that anything goes. I've had a look at a map and was thinking an acw route via Morrone / lochnagar / ballochbuie forest.
    Any better suggestions or advice please?
    Cheers
    That route should work fine, are you thinking of dropping down the jeep track from Morrone and up Loch Callater. The path up Carn an t-Sagairt Mor is fast and efficient, just follow the old metal fence posts near the top. And extra bonus points for finding the aircraft wreck. It's simple going over to Lochnagar from there, with only a little off path section to pick up the most direct line. I've not done the descent from Lochnagar to Ballochbuie Forest, although I've been told it's easy enough.

Are you planning on crossing the Dee at the Invercauld Bridge and taking the long way back? Last time I was heading from the forest to Braemar I ended up on the road for 1.5km before picking up the path near the 'Lions Face' which wasn't too bad. It's a wide fairly open road at that point.

More importantly, what day are you thinking of? Just curious like
    pies