Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot satellite messenger

Spot satellite messenger

I picked up a leaflet at Outside (calver crossroads) . This Spot Satellite messenger seems to be a good idea for walking groups etc , it ain't cheap £180 but it can always call help as long as it can see satellites. What do other people think? www.AdventureTradingpost.co.uk for the details
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Re: Spot satellite messenger

Alf, I don't want to sound like a cynical old hill-billy with an axe to grind, but it strikes me that it is just another of those devices for people who prefer to have afterthoughts rather than clear forethought and good preparation. Yes, even the best of us can have accidents; but how many will be lulled into a lacsadaisical sense of false security just because they have this gizmo tucked into their pocket?
    The "money back guarantee" tickles me! If this thing really did let you down, you probably would not be drawing breath, to claim back your money!

good point. I reckon it's a good back up for those new into the hills who maybe aren't so good at navigation. i know that maybe they should learn but i didn't straight away and i'm still here.
    I can't see myself getting one but if i was going into deepest Scotland eg strathcarron in winter then maybe it'd be an idea.
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Check out this thread!

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=3388

They are basically Locator beacons without the need for them to go to the RAF base or be registered.

Tricky one as I reckon they could have their uses but will most likely be abused by the "all the gear, no idea" brigade.

If you fall in a watery bog you've got 30mins before it dies on you according to the blurb!

Will race organisers insist that we carry these devices when on the fells?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

One of the add on services for the Spotis SPOTcasting which gets the unit to send location updates. Thereby allowing real time tracking. Fun for BG attempts, and maybe useful for outdoor centres?

Will race organisers insist that we carry these devices when on the fells?
    Speaking as one, I could not currently imagine myself ever requiring entrants to have such a device on them.

Perhaps sometime in the future when the numpty quotient has arisen to such a level due to the misuse(not existence!) of devices like this I may have to...

I suspect these will go the way of car alarms - after the first few false alarms the emergency services will take any calls from them with a large pinch of salt.

Thumbs up Re: Spot satellite messenger

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    I suspect these will go the way of car alarms - after the first few false alarms the emergency services will take any calls from them with a large pinch of salt.
    Do our emergency services generally chuck a pinch of salt in the air before deciding if a SOS is valid or not ?

A Satellite "SOS" from a £200 gizmo near Creag Meaghaidh in winter. Who knows the context ?

VS

Dialled 999 - Some city (wherever)

"Aye mate (giggles) me house is on fire (more giggles)come quick (more laughter)then hangs up...

I reckon they'd send folk out to both?