Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: core strength

Re: core strength

Is this a wind up??
    The straight leg sit-up is a good exercise for runners, because it works the pulling muscles of the upper leg as well as the abdominals.

The musccles used fro this one have very little to do with "CORE STABILITY".

See Fellrunner Magazine article ?? not sure when, but Denise Parks explains the whole thing very well........NOT to do with the superficial muscles or pure strength, more a deep postural thing...beefcakes beware, you have to think whilst you do any core muscle work!!

Lots of core work does indeed help Imho! but I use those swiss ball things for my sessions and had expert guidance from a fizz a while back......far too many people don't perform the exercises properly and in turn do more harm than good and yes it is important to work the dorsal muscles as the opposing muscle group equally as well....

eee I could 'plank' for hours now!!

Quote Originally Posted by harrymoon View Post
    i've read a few articles recently with people saying they work on their core strength, would I be right in presuming that's like doing sit-ups and stuff?
    No, they've been drinking cider
    Hills and Guinness!

core strength or strongbow legged?
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by harrymoon View Post
    core strength or strongbow legged?
    Hills and Guinness!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Is this a wind up??
    The straight leg sit-up is a good exercise for runners, because it works the pulling muscles of the upper leg as well as the abdominals.

The musccles used fro this one have very little to do with "CORE STABILITY".

See Fellrunner Magazine article ?? not sure when, but Denise Parks explains the whole thing very well........NOT to do with the superficial muscles or pure strength, more a deep postural thing...beefcakes beware, you have to think whilst you do any core muscle work!!
    Chugger I hope Denise Parks explains it a lot better than you.'Pure strength,deep postural thing' etc. I'm not holding my breath though, because most physios know absolutely nothing about worthwhile physical exercise.

'core stability' is an ambiguous term designed to confuse people, by others(usually physios) who want to sell useless training devices to the ignorant.Like those 'Roverballs'(The Prisoner) that people roll around on.Wasting their time and getting nowhere(except right round baby,right round,like a record baby right round,round,round )

The truth is, no matter which muscles you're referring to, they can only be developed properly by hard exercise. The exercise I advised Freddie to do, is a good stomach(core) exercise, which will give good results.In fact far better results in 2minutes than 1 or 100 hours rolling around on a Roverball.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

Get someone to sit on your feet, and see if you can do 20.If you can, hold a weight behind your head.Everytime you improve and reach 20 reps increase the weight.Don't jerk at the bottom of the movement to get yourself going, keep it smooth.

20 hard reps twice a week is all you need.
    Just done 20 hard reps, felt it big style, i agree with CL, hard work brings results, think he's a bit hard on the physio's though
    Hills and Guinness!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Just done 20 hard reps, felt it big style, i agree with CL, hard work brings results, think he's a bit hard on the physio's though
    Merry don't forget to add the weight next time

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Merry don't forget to add the weight next time
    How much weight, and were do you hold it, across the chest?
    Hills and Guinness!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    How much weight, and were do you hold it, across the chest?
    Try a 2.5kg weight first(barbell),then 5kg.How much weight you'll need depends on your strength, and also the length of your torso.If you've got a long body you'll need less weight than a person with a short torso and the same strength.

Hold the weight behind your head or neck, and get someone heavy to sit on your feet/ankles(two kids will do).Now try, but don't yank with your arms.If you can't sit up with the strength of your hip and stomach muscles alone, reduce the weight.