Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: core strength

Re: core strength

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Chugger I hope Denise Parks explains it a lot better than you.'Pure strength,deep postural thing' etc. I'm not holding my breath though, because most physios know absolutely nothing about worthwhile physical exercise.

'core stability' is an ambiguous term designed to confuse people, by others(usually physios) who want to sell useless training devices to the ignorant.Like those 'Roverballs'(The Prisoner) that people roll around on.Wasting their time and getting nowhere(except right round baby,right round,like a record baby right round,round,round )

The truth is, no matter which muscles you're referring to, they can only be developed properly by hard exercise. The exercise I advised Freddie to do, is a good stomach(core) exercise, which will give good results.In fact far better results in 2minutes than 1 or 100 hours rolling around on a Roverball.

Cheers Chris, any other exercises ?, for the upper body

Christopher I have weak gluts and struggle with injury because of this, what exercise for those?

I didn't run today but did a few sets of sit-ups, haven't used weights yet so will try that next
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Chugger I hope Denise Parks explains it a lot better than you.'Pure strength,deep postural thing' etc. I'm not holding my breath though, because most physios know absolutely nothing about worthwhile physical exercise.

'core stability' is an ambiguous term designed to confuse people, by others(usually physios) who want to sell useless training devices to the ignorant.Like those 'Roverballs'(The Prisoner) that people roll around on.Wasting their time and getting nowhere(except right round baby,right round,like a record baby right round,round,round )

The truth is, no matter which muscles you're referring to, they can only be developed properly by hard exercise. The exercise I advised Freddie to do, is a good stomach(core) exercise, which will give good results.In fact far better results in 2minutes than 1 or 100 hours rolling around on a Roverball.

Chris....I hope you weren't implying I roll around on a 'rover ball' whilst humming an old dead or alive track??!!

I do use the swiss (or whatever you want to call them) balls however do agree most people do sit on them and rarely do anything other than put there backs out whilst trying to some sort of s bend sit up!!

However, for me I do feel it has it's uses....my 'core' work is done on a mat on the floor....not sitting rolling round on the thing!!

I have done fitness courses myself...have attending various seminars etc and also taught.....hence my emphasis on technique....at the end of the day performing an exercise incorrectly regardless of it's purpose is doing more harm than good...this is indeed what infuriates me when people are 'performing' there 'programs'

I do a core session using a circuit of 8 activities.1.3 sets of 10 pull ups.(upper body)2.3 sets of 10 dead lifts(lower back)3.3 sets of 10 weighted squats(Quads/Thighs)4.3 sets of 10 free weights bench press(upper).5.3 sets of 10 weighted crunches.(stomach).6.3 sets of 10 dumbell raises (upper back/Arms).7.100 press ups then 8 250 sit ups.I do this program 2/3 times per week but on the other days i just do the press ups and sit ups.

Well as a long time karate and hong kong fuey expert (retired) we are of course talking of ch'i here - just remember to tense your six pack, raise your guard and emit a high pitched squeal while you're doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Well as a long time karate and hong kong fuey expert (retired) we are of course talking of ch'i here - just remember to tense your six pack, raise your guard and emit a high pitched squeal while you're doing it.

We need total concentration, try it again, this time with more feewing
    Hills and Guinness!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FREDDIE View Post
    Cheers Chris, any other exercises ?, for the upper body

Freddie I always advise competitive runners, not to do any upper body work. This is because it won't help them run any faster, and may slow them down, due to the extra weight of heavier muscles.Although saying that most distance runners couldn't build muscles to save their lives.They run too many miles, which drains their 'growth energy.' This is not a criticism of runners.It's just the nature of our sport.

If you're still interested, here's some general advice.Machines that vary the resistance with the changes in strength of muscles, are superior to free weights, although not always.If the machine is poor quality, free weights are better.

If you're training at home without any special equipment, try these: pull-ups.I do these in the opening of the loft hatch(be careful), by hanging on to a turbo trainer.Palms should be parallel to one another, in line with the shoulders and elbows kept back.This exercise will work most muscles in the upper body, but some people can't even do one, so this is no good for them.

Parallel dips on narrow(body width)parallel bars.Again the loft hatch will do, although people find other ways of doing these with other objects.Lower your body as far as possible, before pressing back up.

Both these exercises are excellent, but if you want the best results you have to train with special machines and free weights.
    Last edited by CL; 27-07-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Chris....I hope you weren't implying I roll around on a 'rover ball' whilst humming an old dead or alive track??!!

I do use the swiss (or whatever you want to call them) balls however do agree most people do sit on them and rarely do anything other than put there backs out whilst trying to some sort of s bend sit up!!

However, for me I do feel it has it's uses....my 'core' work is done on a mat on the floor....not sitting rolling round on the thing!!

I have done fitness courses myself...have attending various seminars etc and also taught.....hence my emphasis on technique....at the end of the day performing an exercise incorrectly regardless of it's purpose is doing more harm than good...this is indeed what infuriates me when people are 'performing' there 'programs'
    Emmilou I wouldn't! My wife was sold one by a physio.When I saw it I said "has the prisoner escaped." I also said a lot of other stuff about being a waste of time etc. She still uses it though, but thats because my wife isn't interested in exercise science,(like the physio that sold it to her), and because she's developed a little routine that she enjoys.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Christopher I have weak gluts and struggle with injury because of this, what exercise for those?
    The buttock muscles draw the thighs backwards, and/or lift the torso up if you're bent over.

You need one or more of the following:full squats, regular deadlifts,straight leg deadlifts,torso extensions(with thighs restrained),leg presses and if you can find one a glute machine extension(women love this).

Regards Chris
    Last edited by CL; 27-07-2008 at 10:14 PM.