Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: core strength

Joliver Jim

Re: core strength

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    It isn't.

20 sit ups every other day for core stability and 20 mins on a turbo trainer as hard a possible, without a warmup is all there is to it.
    Marvellous. So just basic running doesn't come into it then?

Wake me up at 6 tomorrow so I can get on a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joliver Jim View Post

txt message do?

Joliver Jim

txt message do?
    I dare you.

I dare you.
    You don't really expect me to up at 6 after all this Stella?

Don't bother, JJ, you've already got COR!!!strength
    Hills and Guinness!

Cor??

Hmm well, about 6 weeks ago I saw the physio, second appointment, different person (the first one had given me 3 very gentle exercises for my core, lie on back, legs bent and hold belly in for count of 10, 10 reps, same position, raise buttock, hold & lower, 10 reps then hands & knees, hold belly in for count of 10, 10 reps - I had even found these hard at first, that's how out of shape I was). Anyway, she seemed much more interested in technique, showed me how to feel that the muscle was working, by using it to push against my fingers, located in the hollow just inside my hip bones, and keeping the pressure constant while breathing deeply, later adding a heel slide then a foot raise, still working on the out breath, returning on the in breath. These I think are similar to the Denise Park exercises.

They aren't macho , They don't get you sweaty , They dont feel like alot of exertion, you do feel it if you do it right, but they don't hurt . However they have made a world of difference.

You've got to find an exercise that you believe in, Sit-ups feel like you're achieving something, but I prefer planks

Couldn't agree more Scaniagirl:-
    "You've got to find an exercise that you believe in, Sit-ups feel like you're achieving something, but I prefer planks."

I think, if you look at the research evidence that there's plenty of high quality stuff to support the use of this type of muscle re-education.... hence why the vast majority of elite athletes do some core work....Paula, Andi Murray, England rugby players, and the rest.........even your golfers!!

I know that it isn't all that you need, but certain aspects of balance and stability work are very pertinent to our activities on the fells....especially if you do some of your "core " work in standing...eg. functional position (for most of us!).

Master

I never realised running was so complicated.
    It is if you want to get the best out of yourself.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by scaniagirl View Post
    Cor??

Hmm well, about 6 weeks ago I saw the physio, second appointment, different person (the first one had given me 3 very gentle exercises for my core, lie on back, legs bent and hold belly in for count of 10, 10 reps, same position, raise buttock, hold & lower, 10 reps then hands & knees, hold belly in for count of 10, 10 reps - I had even found these hard at first, that's how out of shape I was). Anyway, she seemed much more interested in technique, showed me how to feel that the muscle was working, by using it to push against my fingers, located in the hollow just inside my hip bones, and keeping the pressure constant while breathing deeply, later adding a heel slide then a foot raise, still working on the out breath, returning on the in breath. These I think are similar to the Denise Park exercises.

They aren't macho , They don't get you sweaty , They dont feel like alot of exertion, you do feel it if you do it right, but they don't hurt . However they have made a world of difference.

You've got to find an exercise that you believe in, Sit-ups feel like you're achieving something, but I prefer planks
    Scania Girl when you're as unfit as you imply, then almost any exercise is intense.I've seen people out of breath sat down in a chair, because they're in such poor condition.For them, getting up is like running a mile.

If you want real physical improvement(like most women)you have to work hard.Most Physios won't tell you that, because as I've already said, most don't know anything about worthwhile exercise.They'll give you whatever makes you happy.

One other thing.Just because you believe in something doesn't necessarily make it true.Most peoples beliefs are based on that which is easy. Thats why they don't get the best out of themselves.

You don't really expect me to up at 6 after all this Stella?
    it'll be easier if you stay up and then text at 6 and only then go to bed....
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t: