Thread: A pain in the arch

A pain in the arch

Usually, when I run for more than 5 or 6 miles, I wear an blue elastic ankle support on my right ankle. I sort of have a long time, weak and sometimes tender achilles and wearing the support seems to help. Yesterday though, running 14 miles in my road shoes, this ankle support seemed to strangle my foot, such that once I'd finished the run it was excruciatingly painful. It still hurts a bit even now but is gradually coming back to life - my foot on the bottom still appears to be slightly swollen, almost exactly in line with where the support was.

The thing is, when I run in my Walshes, I haven't ever had this problem even when I've been running for more than 5 hours. Yesterday I was wearing Adidas road running shoes with some added arch support and wonder whether the combination of those and the elastic support is the problem? The ankle support is admittedly tight fitting.

My Walshes have no arch support but, at the same time, each and every time I wear them my feet get wet and muddy, as does the ankle support. Maybe its less tight when wet?

Any clues to my affliction?

Super Moderator

Re: A pain in the arch

Only suggestion is don't run on the road! If god had meant us to run on tarmac he wouldn't have created grass ;=}

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Only suggestion is don't run on the road! If god had meant us to run on tarmac he wouldn't have created grass ;=}
    I concur!

There will be extra pressure from the arch support in your road shoes.

I know fell shoes are meant to be tight and snug but I find that they will accomodate extra socks or even swollen ankles better than my road shoes which tend to be less forgiving. reckon it it down to the extra support that they have.

Can I ask if the support does any good? I am always dubious about elastic supports unless you have some kind of swelling but I am thinking about the best way to protect my ankle over the coming months as I get it back up to full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    There will be extra pressure from the arch support in your road shoes.

I know fell shoes are meant to be tight and snug but I find that they will accomodate extra socks or even swollen ankles better than my road shoes which tend to be less forgiving. reckon it it down to the extra support that they have.

Can I ask if the support does any good? I am always dubious about elastic supports unless you have some kind of swelling but I am thinking about the best way to protect my ankle over the coming months as I get it back up to full strength.
    The ankle support has been really useful (apart from when it kills me, running longer distances in road shoes ). Part of it is psychological I'm sure but I was limping* for months before I started wearing it last Autumn and, nowadays, I get far less jipp from my achilles. The achilles is still swollen though so I imagine its one of those injuries I'll just have to put up with for a while to come.

*Its funny but, even when it was at its worst, I'd hobble about all the time until the moment I put on my running gear. As soon as I was in running mode, I'd have no trouble at all....... until I stopped of course.

If the arch support is more/higher than you need it may be pushing up in to the softer tissue under your arch add the ankle support and which will be snug and that is alot of pressure. If you are flat footed or pronate that could be the problem but you are best speaking to a podiatrist.

The limping while walking could just be psycological or perhaps you are just after a bit of man sympathy....

I'd agree with every one else stay of the hard stuff.

The limping might have been a habit that you got yourself into