Thread: today's book

today's book

Guns, germs, and steel - by Jared Diamond

I'm reading it now.
    Absolutely fantastic.
    If you have a brain you can't not love it (not that I have one, brain I mean, just ask my wife and teen daughter, but I still love the book)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    My Name is Why, Lemn Sissay's account of growing up in care. All very factual (including copies of many of the documents about him that he eventually managed to get Wigan Social Services to release); no sentimentality but just the occasional polemic. I found it quite gripping, and ended up seeking out more information about him (e.g. from his blog), as well as (in my rather nerdy manner) finding all the locations where he lived on streetmap.co.uk.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    My Name is Why, Lemn Sissay's account of growing up in care. All very factual (including copies of many of the documents about him that he eventually managed to get Wigan Social Services to release); no sentimentality but just the occasional polemic. I found it quite gripping, and ended up seeking out more information about him (e.g. from his blog), as well as (in my rather nerdy manner) finding all the locations where he lived on streetmap.co.uk.
    I found this book fascinating - to have so little domestic stability when young, and yet to become such a well balanced adult.

FRA 2023 Handbook and Fixtures Calendar!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

David Copperfield, I like a classic, and being on holiday at a cottage with no television is giving me the opportunity to get on with it.
    My friend met Lem and said he was a good bloke. I've heard him on the radio a lot.