Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gerry Charnley Way

Re: Gerry Charnley Way

That brings back memories of us (Keswick) setting the record for the route as a paired relay - must have a look to see what the time was. I may also have to work out what year it was . Certainly a challenging route to do, well done.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Brilliant effort Noor. BG for you soon now you are getting a taste for the long stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    I can't believe it's not more popular, for BG training or just as a more 'do-able' traverse of some of the lakeland fells.

I'd never heard of it - it does sound like an excellent route and I would have probably used it for BGR training if i'd have known.

Perhaps you should write an article for fellrunner about it? Did you take any photos en route?

Quote Originally Posted by Dux de lux View Post
    Brilliant effort Noor. BG for you soon now you are getting a taste for the long stuff!!
    Yes well done Noor.
    He did say it was good training for the BG so that must be next

Book your weekend early Noor it gets busy!

Bill

No, there's not much information on it, but that was what made it a little more special.

No, I have no interest in a BG - that just sounds really tiring.

No, I didn't take any photos but I really, really wish I'd taken my camera; so many views and so much to take in, but I just didn't have the time to stop.

I was thinking about something for The Fellrunner, but I am awaiting the inspiration to write.
    Why walk when you can run.

Unhappy Re: Gerry Charnley Way

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    No, there's not much information on it, but that was what made it a little more special.

No, I have no interest in a BG - that just sounds really tiring.

No, I didn't take any photos but I really, really wish I'd taken my camera; so many views and so much to take in, but I just didn't have the time to stop.

I was thinking about something for The Fellrunner, but I am awaiting the inspiration to write.
    you should write something for the YHA mag, Noor. There's always time to take pictures. It might mean an extra 15 - 30 minutes but I reckon its worth it.

look forward to reading about it in the fellrunner anyway. I'll have plenty of time for reading over the next few months

Good one Ben

I was a member of SROC when we ran a couple of teams over that course back in the 80's. Fancied a trot around it myself this summer but it never materialised. Would be interested though to see a complete list of checkpoints as I have no record of it now. Can you post it or e-mail me?

Cheers

Tim

The Relay Reord was acheived by Keswick AC on 1st June 1986.
    7 hours 45 mins.
    The Trophy currently resides on the wall of the common room at Borrowdale Youth Hostel (I'm not sure why, perhaps John Broxap was working at the hostel at that time). Other team members included Billy Bland, Dave Spedding, Pete Barron, and Mike Fanning. I'll put the full team up here at some point. I think it is 6 pairs which must include 2 women. Anne Bland and Winky O'Neill were in the the team.
    If anyone wants a copy of the map that goes with the route I have access to a few copies. PM me if you 'really' want one.

Apologies. Billy Bland wasn't in the team.
    The full team consisted of:
    Len I'Anson, Dave Spedding, Pete Davies, Chris Knox, Pete Barron, Dave Wilkinson, Rod Pilbeam, Jon Broxap, Mike Fanning, John Robinson, Winky O'Neale, and Ann Bland.
    I think the only other club to hold the record was South Ribble Orienteering Club (11 hours 2 minutes in 1985).
    I think it is about time another club or clubs tried to break the record.

Did somebody mention me then? Did I really run that fast? Think its about time another club had a go at the record too- any takers?
    Last edited by Chris K; 26-11-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: missed essential word!
    A circular route mostly downhill