Thread: supermarket food

supermarket food

I got a flier from Abel & Cole, the company the delivers local seasonal organic fair trade GM-free etc. etc. food to your home. I was almost tempted to try them, but at the end I thought that supermarkets, where I shop, altough sell plenty of terrible 'food' they also sell seasonal organic local fair trade decent food. You just need to read all the labels, where comes from, ingredients, etc. (I know most people don't, I do).

So, why should buying good food from one such expensive company be any better than buying the same (?) decent food, local organic seasonal fair trade GM-free from a local supermarket ?

On the green issue.
    If we were to get one such local organic veg box delivery, we would still drive to the local supermarket once a week. Then, overall petrol consumption would be more (because our driving PLUS their delivery, compared to just our driving), not less.

Your thoughts ?

Master

Re: supermarket food

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    I got a flier from Abel & Cole, the company the delivers local seasonal organic fair trade GM-free etc. etc. food to your home. I was almost tempted to try them, but at the end I thought that supermarkets, where I shop, altough sell plenty of terrible 'food' they also sell seasonal organic local fair trade decent food. You just need to read all the labels, where comes from, ingredients, etc. (I know most people don't, I do).

So, why should buying good food from one such expensive company be any better than buying the same (?) decent food, local organic seasonal fair trade GM-free from a local supermarket ?

On the green issue.
    If we were to get one such local organic veg box delivery, we would still drive to the local supermarket once a week. Then, overall petrol consumption would be more (because our driving PLUS their delivery, compared to just our driving), not less.

Your thoughts ?

Would you eat GM foods if not eating them led to food shortages and starvation?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Would you eat GM foods if not eating them led to food shortages and starvation?
    good point. The most sensible argument against organic or GM-free is that, because they require more land, they make less food available overall, which tend to increase deforestation and/or food shortages. It's an opinion I agree with, to a large extend.

Still, I was asking a different thing.

I've thought about these veg boxes but never go round to it. Apart from local produce bit, I reckon it would force me to try different stuff that I wouldn't normally buy in the supermarket. If you're buying less in the supermarket, wouldn't you consider walking / cycling to the supermarket? If I'm on my way home I'll drive via the supermarket, but if I am at home I'll be more inclined to walk / cycle and use a rucksack rather than carrier bags. Does buying from local companies reduce the 'food miles' travelled, ie for a supermarket it's probably something like, from producer, to wholesaler, to supermarket distribution, to supermarket, to home?

ever thought of an allottment? I pay £18 a year for mine (with a friend) and we get a lot of produce and the time spent there is very relaxing and quite social too. I can walk to it in ten minutes or less. Have to admit it is one of the best things i've ever done. This is our fifth year.
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

I have thought of an allotment. Unfortunately so has everyone else. There is now a long waiting list at all sites within 3 miles of my house. . With every spare bit of land round here being built on, I can't see much chance of any new allotments being opened to cope with the increased demand.