Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Coledale Horseshoe

I'm hoping for some advice. I'm considering taking part in the Coledale Horseshoe but wanted to check if I'm reaching a little far to start. I've no real fell running experience (I've done the odd race in the hills, nothing FRA registered) but do spend a bit of time walking in the Lake District each year and have walked the traditional Coledale Horseshoe route a couple of times. Not that I saw very much thanks to weather. But I've got a smidge of local knowledge and navigational experience, so I'm comfortable in the hills.

Is the Coledale Horseshoe something that should put me off as a first proper fell race? Or should I just go for it?

The only "advice" that matters is that of the RO so I suggest you ask him if he will welcome you to his event because your "going for it" might become his serious problem.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

The fact that you are asking such questions would signify to me that you are serious about racing and looking after yourself so my advice would be to go for it, if you are completely happy with getting yourself around the course, or to safety, in the event of no visibility and poor weather.

I am far from 'experienced' but in my year of racing I have come across a number of people with far more ability and race experience than myself, who have no idea with regards to navigation, even on a clear day. Are they really any more prepared to deal with a race high up in the lakeland fells in poor weather...?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post
    I'm hoping for some advice. I'm considering taking part in the Coledale Horseshoe but wanted to check if I'm reaching a little far to start. I've no real fell running experience (I've done the odd race in the hills, nothing FRA registered) but do spend a bit of time walking in the Lake District each year and have walked the traditional Coledale Horseshoe route a couple of times. Not that I saw very much thanks to weather. But I've got a smidge of local knowledge and navigational experience, so I'm comfortable in the hills.

Is the Coledale Horseshoe something that should put me off as a first proper fell race? Or should I just go for it?
    Personally, I would have thought that on a good clear day, Coledale is an ideal AM first race. The terrain is not too rough, there are long runnable sections and navigation nowhere really a problem. But remember it is early in the season, there may be snow/ice and who know's what on the day all of which should contribute to your decision.
    Although, you seem to have some mountain experience, how much running have you done in the hills? Have a look at previous years results to give you an idea of the type of field this race usually attracts and the times you should be aiming at. I really don't want to put you off but in truth, nobody on this board can make this decision for you - if you have any doubts, then heed Graham's advice and contact the RO. I'm sure they would rather have an enquiry of this nature before rather than after the event!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

It was one of my first 'proper' fell races when it was held as the championship event in 88 but I came at it with a background of about 15 years experience walking and climbing including occasional 'fell' events, orienteering, and generally running about the hills etc. I'd also been running on the roads for years for some reason I cant remember any more.
    If your navigation is sound, conditions are reasonable and you are fit then I suggest its likely to be a good first medium race, as has been mentioned above but only you can really make that decision. If you are reasonably local why not have a reccie/training run to give you an idea of what to expect on the day? The first climb is pretty unrelenting and unless you are happy on steep and rough ground you wont enjoy the second one much either. Some of the descending in the later stages is steep, technical and fast and you will be reversing part of the route where we sadly lost a runner in another race a few years ago - if you were in any doubt over how serious this race could potentially be then that's worth bearing in mind.

It's worth noting you only have to start running at the top of Grisedale Pike, the first quarter of the route can be walked and you still won't come last. There's a bottleneck on the stairs after the start and Grisedale Pike is one hell of a climb. I walked the first bit thusly on my only Coledale entry and finished nowhere near the back. Only thing i would say is remember to turn left at Sail Pass, don't go up Causey, it looked like a fairly easy mistake to make to me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

You could make the organiser ( and Mrs organiser ) even happier than normal by pre entering. It makes a big difference to their workload on the day if they have you in the system before race day.
    You can spend the money you save in the pub on the way back to the car park after your race

I'm not sure ideal, but as Lake District races go it's as good as any. You could get a bit of experience in on the Wednesday night at Loughrigg, that's much easier. Might make a good warm up.

(edit I realise the above might sound like I'm sneering at Lake District races - I really mean, it's a pretty tough race but then they all are! This is a great race. I do remember going wrong one year on the descent and looking at the map I think it was around Stile End, so maybe have a reccy around there first).
    Last edited by RichK; 25-03-2016 at 09:03 PM.

A few snaps for you :-) What super weather for the race. As for the day ... 4 seasons in 24hrs! https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FnTnl6c2VsUlh3

Fell and cracked two ribs yesterday on this glorious race - was going well too and reeling folk in after Sail Pass. Just got carried away when i saw i was catching some local rivals - the red mist got me good and proper. A superb race, thanks for organising ROs