Thread: H/H Trail cutter

H/H Trail cutter

Helly hansen Trail cutter trail shoes! Ive wanted a pair for a short while, decided to buy some and it seems that 'Trail' magazine gave them a relatively poor review this month.
    What do you think to these shoes?
    I just want a third pair of trail shoes for grass and scrambling.
    Quite a fan of the lifa technology.
    Opinions?

Re: H/H Trail cutter

Hi Martin,

Had a pair for about 2 months now and they have had a good thrashing in the bogs and tors of Dartmoor. Got them because I couldn't get hold of another pair of Swoops and I'm dead chuffed with them so far. Grip's not bad (OK for me, anyway) and they're one of the most comfy shoes I've had. Seriously light, too. Being Helly they're probably bomproof too, but time will tell.

I wouldn't take too much notice of a review in a K2 mag.
    Hope this helps

I've found them to be a good shoe. Very light, comfy, enough cushioning for road sections etc if needs be, quick-drying etc.
    Only minus point is I find the grip/tread on the heel section clogs easily with certain types of mud (edges of ploughed fields etc - a bit like British Rail's 'wrong type of leaves on the line' excuse). If you then head downhill you're left with no grip. As a general trail shoe I'd say it's pretty good.

Thumbs down Re: H/H Trail cutter

I bought a pair of these shoes this weekend and have used them twice.

So far I have never had as much pain whilst running as I have since buying these shoes.

I mainly get pain on both sides of the flat of my foot when I am running up or down hill (Downhill being worse).

Maybe I just have strange feet that only like cheap a55 shoes!

Just been informed today that Helly have sent a credit through. I wasn't offered any explaination but that's fine as I have lost confidence in these now and am going to try a different brand.
    Last edited by peawet08; 21-05-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Update

Looking for another pair of trail shoes and it's between the HH Trail and the Mizuno Harrier - anyone got any updates on the HH?

I see plenty of people out in them so they must be good shoes. One guy I spoke to said he thought the sole wore down a little too quick.

For me though they just didn't suit. I also got a pair of New Balance 768 shoes recently and had the same issue as the Hellys. So maybe they just didn't suit my running style.

Had mine for about 6 months now. The sole's OK but the uppers are looking a bit sad. I run on Dartmoor 4/5 times a week so they spend a lot of time soaked in acid peaty water which would account for it. That said tho, my Swoops fared better for longer. Both laces snapped after 2 months (mebee why you get a spare set with them),a lace loop snapped, that bit on the front came loose about the same time and I'm growing a nice big split in the material on the outside of the right one. Apart from that, tho............
    Last edited by foxy; 14-09-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Buy the harriers! they win hands down