Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: running wellies

running wellies

My last set of wellies collapsed recently, literally fell apart. Anyone have any advice about what set of wellies to use for going running in?

Before you start, they are good for strengthening the feet (because there is nothing to hold them in place) and its handy weight on the end of you legs for when your mud plugging. I mostly walk the dog in them and do the odd bit of running in the woods and stuff near where I live.

Any suggestions? Softer ones, rubberier ones, cheap ones, expensive ones...

david

Re: running wellies

Le Chameau for me. Lovely soft rubber.

Smile Re: running wellies

Cheers, lacking uk stockists but do look lovely. I figure softer rubber would be better, stiffer ones seem to crack.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

from my caving days when you needed wellies that could grip on limestone try

http://www.berniescafe.co.uk/catalog...994e3e80d43a28

or the classic Dunlop Suretread Welly which you should be able to google to find a stockist and should suit waht you are after.

Fellhound

Anyone remember the Nokian Sisu? A little short welly with a studded sole? Orienteering shops used to stock them and I even have an old (1980s)Fellrunner with an ad for them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Anyone remember the Nokian Sisu? A little short welly with a studded sole? Orienteering shops used to stock them and I even have an old (1980s)Fellrunner with an ad for them!!
    Yes! When Fleetfoot first started their wholesale enterprise in Lancaster ( late 70's ) they were the official importers of New Balance running shoes & Nokian 'bog-trotter' wellingtons (Finnish I recall). Fleetfoot fell out with NB - as I remember NB opened their Cumbrian factory and were working to UK overheads, but everytime the £ fluctuated against the $, NB still altered their pricing to Fleetfoot. So Fleetfoot then started wholesaling Reebok and did such a good job that they became Reebok - the worldwide wholsale arm of the Reebok empire. It was about that time that the 'bog-trotters' disappeared.
    Sadly the Fleetfoot / Reebok wholesale set-up is somewhat in decline (certainly in Lancaster) since Reebok were taken over by Adidas. I fondly remember the Fleetfoot Mountain Trials of the early 80's, from the Britannia Inn at Elterwater, organised by Paddy Buckley then a Fleetfoot employee.

david

Quote Originally Posted by mountain bag View Post
    Cheers, lacking uk stockists
    I got mine from Ken Varey in Clitheroe.

cheers thanks for all the info. the LeCham ones don't list uk as a country that their stocked in - should have looked a bit harder The caving ones also look pretty interesting - especially as sticking to limestone is a useful asset round the trails and lanes of matlock.

Thanks all.

INOV8 wellies! Great idea!