Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overuse Injuries??

Smile Overuse Injuries??

Hi All,
    I'm a final year sport science student at Leeds uni. As part of one module I need to produce a tender for a sports rehabilitation clinic for overuse injuries focused on one specific sport. I started doing a bit of fell running since moving to Leeds and so have decided to research this sport.

So, I was wondering if any of you could tell me of present or past overuse injuries e.g. plantar fasciitis, tendonitis of the achilles etc. that you've experienced and what did you do to recover from it.
    Overuse injuries don't include falls, spains, strains etc!

Thanks
    Niki

Re: Overuse Injuries??

First got PF after a period of overtraining, too many hard sessions, hill work and not enough proper recovery between sessions.
    At the time was breaking pbs so tried to 'run through it', no good and struggled for nearly a year, tried stretching, self massage, physio, taping, core work and short periods of rest to sort it out.
    3 months of solid rest plus an attempt to slightly adapt my running style has meant I am now running pain free.
    Plan this time is to mix cycling and swimming into the training to avoid it going again.

This is a personal opinion, I think that with many overuse injuries the runner knows that the injury is coming but usually is not strong enough mentally to withdraw from training and avoid the injury.

Cheers

GA
    Smile on the way up, scream on the way down!

Niki,

I'm struggling at the minute with patella chondromalacia (Runners Knee) along with a little tightness in my IT band. This is usually associated with people who have just taken up running and up the miles to quickly. I should have known better, I have also been told its very easy to shift. Which has shown me that maybe I have not been managing it well enough as it seems to have been around for a good couple of months.

Its defiantely down to overuse, I got a bit keen after race seaon last october and hit the hills in the lakes a bit too much. Its been building slowly since then.

I would not say its painful enough to stop me running but the knee just seems to be in a permanent state of dull ache. I have sussed out what causes it worsen and can manage it to some extent. It just means staying off the hills for a while and dropping my mileage. Which is not great if you enjoy long fell races in the lakes.

Im currently waiting for orthotics so Im hoping these will help. I have also cut down my miles considerably and am experimenting with cycling. I'm not sure what effect that has on this type of injury though. I have also been told by the physio to build my inner quads with strengthening exercises as this will help to track the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Ankles View Post

This is a personal opinion, I think that with many overuse injuries the runner knows that the injury is coming but usually is not strong enough mentally to withdraw from training and avoid the injury.
    That be me

Cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 19-04-2008 at 01:48 PM.

GOOD LUCK!
    I have had longterm problems with my sacroiliac joint (hypomobility on the left....usually).
    I have no doubt that it is worse when I up the training, race or run downhill a lot.
    I have done a lot of sport for the whole of my life, starting 30 years ago with gymnastics.
    The lovely physiotherapist keeps it mobilised and I do my core stability and strength training as advised.
    Self mobs are difficult, but do help (sometimes!).

My other thing is peroneal tendonitis (at the ankle that I broke age 12ish).
    Eccentric exercises (daily) and stretches keep this one away from the treatment couch 95% of the time.
    Having said that, I am also better off if I get some regular soft tissue release (local sports therapist or physiotherapist).

Hope that this helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Ankles View Post
    Thanks for replying to all 3 of you.
    I completely agree with the quote above. Overuse injuries occur slowly due to continued stress acting on certain areas of the body depending on how you run. This gradually develops tightness which may lead to what we refer as the 'niggle'. A lot of runners train through this without any preventative action and injury results more often than not. Curse of fell/exercise addiction...!

The information was really useful - glad to see no stress fractures. The benfits of off road running!

Sounds like you're all are doing the right preventative treatments/cross-training to stop it re-occuring anyway.

Thanks again, Niki

so, how do I keep my knees going as my mileage increases?

(Dull ache behind kneecaps)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scaniagirl View Post
    so, how do I keep my knees going as my mileage increases?

(Dull ache behind kneecaps)
    Lower you milage for a week to 10 days and always run on more forgiving surfaces. No stone, concrete or the dreaded blackstuff.

I was running on lovely trails round Entwistle and things where going great.

Then I did a 10k on Sunday, and things are not going too great anymore.

I may have a complete layoff and slob out for the summer.

It will be fun, I can drink during the day and rant at runners about wearing their knees out.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    I was running on lovely trails round Entwistle and things where going great.

Then I did a 10k on Sunday, and things are not going too great anymore.

I may have a complete layoff and slob out for the summer.

It will be fun, I can drink during the day and rant at runners about wearing their knees out.
    Sorry to hear that. I am assuming the ITBS again?

p.s its a myth, we don't wear our knees out. I think thats because we are always injured therefore never really running anyway?

Its runners knee pal, with a bit off ITB. I was going well with it.

Just the road 10k thats done me.

I know what you mean about knee's, its just the "I told you so crew" that get on my nerves.

I have had a fair bit of that recentley, they need shooting.