Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Wincle Trout

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    fantastic run - route had a bit of everything, you could never really settle as the gradient/underfoot conditions never stayed the same for more than a couple of hundred yards
    Loved this race for that exact reason. Definitely sits in my top 5 courses to run.
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

Anybody racing this one tomorrow? Definitely my favourite race bar none!

Wincle Trout fell race is part of the Wincle fete and with nearly 300 runners its obviously a huge draw for the village. Like most fetes other activities are aplenty but I was slightly surprised when the following announcement came bellowing over the tannoy: "catch the sausage will be starting shortly in the main arena"....Blimey, what kind of shenanigans involves catching a sausage?...It's a dog obedience show of course, what was I thinking?

I really like attending races that coincide with a traditional village fete, especially when set in such a lovely location. It's really heartwarming browsing the quirky stalls and seeing all the efforts of the locals being appreciated. The cake makers presented an incredible display of baking prowess...I think it took me longer to choose a cake than it did to run the race.

The Wincle Brewery wasn't shy of customers enjoying a pint and a burger. Breweries and fell races are all the rage around this part of Cheshire...Bollington 3 peaks and Wincle Trout...fuelled on malt and hops.

The race has a different start and finish location from year to year, depending on which field hosts the fete. Apparently today's location offered up one of the easier finishes. It's a fast course with a mixture of farmland, tracks, woods and a knee deep river crossing. The climbs are more gradual than steep and nothing is too technical.

The reward for finishing the race is a fresh Trout...thankfully this isn't draped around your neck like a medal, you collect it from an ice box. I didn't take up the offer of the fresh Trout....Given the warm weather, the drive home with a damp Border Terrier, sweaty running kit and fresh fish would've been a challenging odour experience I wasn't prepared to take on. The fish didn't travel, it's one that got away.

Another comfortable win for Jack Ross, impressive running mate. Many thanks to all concerned...hope you all enjoyed your fish supper.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Wincle Trout fell race is part of the Wincle fete and with nearly 300 runners its obviously a huge draw for the village. Like most fetes other activities are aplenty but I was slightly surprised when the following announcement came bellowing over the tannoy: "catch the sausage will be starting shortly in the main arena"....Blimey, what kind of shenanigans involves catching a sausage?...It's a dog obedience show of course, what was I thinking?

I really like attending races that coincide with a traditional village fete, especially when set in such a lovely location. It's really heartwarming browsing the quirky stalls and seeing all the efforts of the locals being appreciated. The cake makers presented an incredible display of baking prowess...I think it took me longer to choose a cake than it did to run the race.

The Wincle Brewery wasn't shy of customers enjoying a pint and a burger. Breweries and fell races are all the rage around this part of Cheshire...Bollington 3 peaks and Wincle Trout...fuelled on malt and hops.

The race has a different start and finish location from year to year, depending on which field hosts the fete. Apparently today's location offered up one of the easier finishes. It's a fast course with a mixture of farmland, tracks, woods and a knee deep river crossing. The climbs are more gradual than steep and nothing is too technical.

The reward for finishing the race is a fresh Trout...thankfully this isn't draped around your neck like a medal, you collect it from an ice box. I didn't take up the offer of the fresh Trout....Given the warm weather, the drive home with a damp Border Terrier, sweaty running kit and fresh fish would've been a challenging odour experience I wasn't prepared to take on. The fish didn't travel, it's one that got away.

Another comfortable win for Jack Ross, impressive running mate. Many thanks to all concerned...hope you all enjoyed your fish supper.
    Lovely to see you in our neck of the woods again and how appropriate, may I say, that you should grace a fishy themed race with your presence...

What a fantastic little race, and whilst I cannot improve on Tindersticks description in post 93, above, I thought that the run in from the Hanging Stone was top drawer.

Unfortunately there was no sausage catching to be had this year as the race was a stand alone event but hopefully it will be back to its usual date in the calendar next year alongside the fete.

There was still a trout for the 267 finishers and the WI had a splendid selection of cakes in their marquee, but I went for a very tasty slice of pork pie which I washed down with a couple of pints of Wincle Waller 3.8% to celebrate my 30th O/A finish and 1st MV60
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I agree with Llani Boy, it was a brilliant race and the pork pie at the end from the local butcher was amazing, although I washed mine down with a couple of polystyrene thimbles-full of tea at a quid a pop - somewhat worse value for money than the beer at £3.50 a pint. It was my first running of this race. I enjoyed the early walk on the first 'brutal' climb out of the car park field. I'd already blown up by then and was in recovery mode. In the end I was satisfied with my 141st overall finish and 28th M50 because I know I could not manage much better with my genetic inheritance (25 years of flogging the dead horse have proven that ). Nevertheless I was left feeling suitably enriched in the physical and mental departments, as always. The icing on the cake came the next day when I cooked the trout for lunch, which we enjoyed with salad. Pure heaven. I even managed to separate the flesh from the bones successfully. I'd never cooked a trout before.
    Some photos of the day can be found here. Lud's Church was a bit special with its own fog.

It's years since I've done this one. I didn't realise the course now goes through Lud's Church. And wouldn't have believed it without seeing your photos BritNick.

How ridiculous, but brilliant at the same time - well done to the organisers for thinking of it. I might try to get an entry in next year.

Trouble is Noel, I was told the route changes every year so Lud's Church might not be in next year, which would be a shame.

Phew, what a scorcher it was this year.

Mellor Knowle Farm was the venue for this years Fete and Fell Race and by the time the 2.45pm start came around it was roasting. 300 odd folk set off out of the fete field and initially down the road towards the Ship Inn, strange name as it couldn't be much further from the sea, and after a loop of the fishponds and brewery we picked up the usual route. Two river crossings this year which enabled me to get a couple of capfuls of water to cool me down. The climb into and out of Ludd's Church was delightful as it felt cold and there was even mud in the bottom.

The coldness didn't last long as we came back into full sun and up onto the ridge and along it to the Hanging Stone, my favourite bit, and then steeply down to the second river crossing before a sharp final climb and along to the finish in the fete field.

Very happy with my run of 6.5 miles, 1,220 feet in 1.04.50. which placed me 33rd overall and 1st M60. By the time I got to the beer tent the lighter beers had been quaffed so I had to make do with a malty Sir Phillip, 4.2% from the within spitting distance Wincle Brewery.

I also won a night in a Shepherd's Hut in the raffle. I just need to find a suitable Shepherdess now!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 12-06-2023 at 04:11 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Well done LB. Night in a shepherd's hut - that's a nice prize.

The Ship Inn is named after Shackleton's Antarctic expedition ship, The Nimrod. Local landowner, Philip Brocklehurst was part of the expedition.