Thread: BGR Recce on Fri 25th April

Master

BGR Recce on Fri 25th April

Hi

myself and a mate were recce ing legs 3 and 4 yesterday. We met another chap doing the same on Bowfell summit. because of the mist we teamed up for a while as niether party could pick up the path to Esk Pike. Whilst I took a bearing we became seperated and myself and mate continued to Esk Pike. I hope you got down OK as the weather becam totally crap later on, some of the worst I have known.
    By the time we got to Scoat Fell we were so cold and soaked that we felt going over Kirk and GG was out of the question, so instead went over Pillar to Black Sail and then picked up Moses Trod eventually finsing our way to Honister in worsening conditions. It was the nearest I have experienced to hypo thermia and not how things were meant to happen.

by the way we decided to miss out on Scafell also as every thing was too wet and misty and I didnt feel like doing BS in those conditions.
    Wot do others do if BS is not climbable, do most of you do Lords or do you drop to Foxes?

Anyway apart from that we did all peaks ahead of schedule so hopefully its looking good this year to tick it off.

I have one pacer (Gareth) who is going to do Moot to Rosset with me and I have pacers to BS and then another guy who will do Wasdale to Honister. I dont know if anyone can, fancioes etc doing the Dale head leg with me or even supporting me else where as it is a long stint for Gareth to do on his own?

cheers
    Simon

Master

Re: BGR Recce on Fri 25th Apri

Sorry. Forgot to say Im going for it on Sat 14th June as a 2am start from keswick.

Master and MR

well done corniceman
    its not easy mate recceing in bad weather

Master

Thanks for those who have now volunteered to do leg 5 with me. I now have two relatively local people who have come forward. I think all thats needed now is decent weather

Self and IanFitz were out Friday night/Sat a.m on Leg 2, intending to do L2 & 3. Helvellyn Ridge was howling, wet and cold and at times we couldn't see our feet. By Sticks Pass it wasn't funny any more and we quit.
    I'm quite reassured to know that we weren't the only people to throw in the towel. Hope the weather is better for your attempt, we are going in mid-june the weekend after you.
    On BS, I went Lord's Rake route last year which is a scree scramble, the leaning pillar at the top looks dodgy and there are other places where the rockfall is a bit precarious. Foxes is supposed to be safer and easier, I'm going to try and recce this before my next attempt, although someone was nearly crushed by a boulder there recently.
    STEVE