Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INOV-8 Shoes

INOV-8 Shoes

I bumped into Wayne Edy, who runs INOV-8, at the PPP.

I was one of the first fell runners to wear Mudrocs when they were introduced and I have since bought Roclites and Mudclaws which, in my view, are respectivley the best trail and fell shoes money can buy.

Amongst other things I talked to Wayne about the "robustness" problem some runners identify with INOV-8 products which he recognised but argued that his company had addressed.

As after previous conversations with Wayne I came away impressed with him and what his company is trying to achieve. I think it listens to runners.

As I said on Saturday, "For 20 years I wore nothing but Walsh but since INOV-8 arrived in the market place I have worn nothing but INOV-8 shoes".

I therefore remain bemused that fellrunners in general have not moved onto INOV-8 shoes which were designed for the 21st Century rather than another brand which might have been designed in the 19th.

Graham

david

Re: INOV-8 Shoes

Has Wayne put you on the company payroll Graham?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Has Wayne put you on the company payroll Graham?
    No. But I hope I recognise innovation.

I too have had some very pleasant phone conversations with Wayne, and like you Graham, have come away quite impressed by him and what he's trying to achieve (or what he has achieved).

But I won't buy a shoe that is credibly going to last me 200 miles when I can buy a pair of Montrails that'll last 5 times as long and still look at me through their eyeholes and say, "bring it on..."

Inov-8 are quite up-front about the sensible duration of their shoes (200-300 miles), and fair play to them. Build quality issues leading to odd failures of shoes are quite another thing, and whether anybody likes it or not, they have gained a reputation for this. Some people have had no problems at all with any number of pairs. Some people have had problems repeatedly. I spoke to Wayne about this some months ago, and he did not see any problems. If he now recognises that there was a problem and has addressed these issues, then this is fantastic.

But is it too late? The fell shoe market has expanded rapidly in a very short space of time, and I suspect those that have had bad experiences with Inov-8 will generally vote with their feet.

Rhiannon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I bumped into Wayne Edy, who runs INOV-8, at the PPP.

I therefore remain bemused that fellrunners in general have not moved onto INOV-8 shoes which were designed for the 21st Century rather than another brand which might have been designed in the 19th.

Graham
    Having had 3 pairs of 270 mudclaws in which none reached 50 miles I turned to the 330 mudcaws which are showing signs of falling in bits but after 220 miles.

Walshs that I use are great.

Inov's and this is by shoe are either great or crap with no middle ground.

Your post are very informative Graham but I feel when someone has a bad experience with a shoe the only course of action is to find something that suits and if that is from the 19th Century it does not say much for the 21st companies of today.

Inov have a great range but has been shown on here before certain shoes do not match every foot shape.

PS Has Wayne ever considered opening a factory shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    PS Has Wayne ever considered opening a factory shop?
    Pick us some up the next time your in China Stagger!!

david

I've tried Inov-8 290s and 310s and was not impressed with the fit, feel or longevity of either. I see that Inov-8 now list 24 different models of shoe on their web site and I'm quite prepared to accept that there may be the perfect shoe for me in that range so if someone would please be so kind as to buy me a full set (only about £1500) I will happily test them all over the next couple of years and report back. Don't all rush at once. In the meantime I'll stick with my Walsh PB Racers.

I recognise what INOV-8 detractors report and maybe my feet were made for INOV-8 or vice versa but I race 50 times a year, have never had the quality problems others suggest and I am sure I am getting more than 200 miles out of a shoe.

Two points:

ASICS Kayano retail (if one were stupid enough to pay the full price) for around £120. A shop assistant told me they were really only good for 500 miles.

If I drive to say Keswick for a fell race I use around £30 of petrol. So two trips = one pair of INOV-8 shoes. That equation makes fell shoes look cheap to me.

But I recognise I will never make a proselyte of David!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 29-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.

david

But I recognise I will never make a proselyte of David!
    I am quite willing to see the light and be converted if I find anything that suits me better than my Walshes but so far that hasn't happened. I bought my 290s from Wayne and Pete Bland at the Skiddaw race in July 2003 when they had only just been introduced as Inov-8's first shoe so at least you can't accuse me of not being willing to try something new.

david

If I drive to say Keswick for a fell race I use around £30 of petrol. So two trips = one pair of INOV-8 shoes. That equation makes fell shoes look cheap to me.
    The cost of filling up the car these days makes most things look cheap .