Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low-key BGR next two weeks

Re: Low-key BGR next two weeks

This is great. There's a fine line between help -- which I don't want -- and company, which I wouldn't mind. Part of the pleasure, I think, is the relationships you forge and the people you meet along the way; shared experiences twice as good and all that...otherwise I'd get my head down and run a fast marathon in London or something.

I will put a date on it over this weekend. Need to have a think tonight. Thanks for the replies...more welcome to join!

Master

Dear Bucket

Hope you achieve this, but dont underestimate how dificult the BGR is even at a sub 24 hour pace. last year I pulled the plug at Honister after 21.5 hours as I knew I was heading for a 24.5/25 hour time. On reflection I wished I had finnished it and I wouldnt have put myself through it for more punishment this year. I only had my dad at road side crossings and lonliness is tough when you are up there. However I was pretty fit and had the miles in my legs, but just slow. As I say it is really tough however you do it, and smelling flowers was'nt an agenda I could have attended to even at my slowish even pace. I think you will need to be really focused in making it your goal to get round at all costs other wise its too dam easy to pull the plug when the going gets really tough.

good luck

Simon

Bucket, have a great time. I'll be supporting an attempt that same weekend that takes a more orthodox appraoch, much like my round, i.e. getting help, roadside support etc.

There's no right way or wrong way, just whatever takes your fancy! I like that you're doing it your way, good on yer.

Regarding support, I loved the fact that I had a bit of a posse there, the atmospehere was great and I was humbled by the help I received. It made it possible for a midpacker like me to do it and I loved it. I still had to work hard for 23.5 hours mind you, no bugger carried me!!

If we see you (will you carry the bucket?!) then we'll be sure to say hi, pass on a jelly baby or two etc! Have a fantastic time.

ST

alwaysinjured

Did you read the PM bucket?

Checked! Apologies for late reply -- I was travelling at the end of last week and had no Internet access for two days. I have replied to the PMs.

Update: There seems to be some interest in this. I have at least 3 people up for doing some or all of the BGR in a low-key way ranging from "mountain marathon" style (over 2 days, effectively turning it into a full-length recce) to continuous.

I think we are probably looking at next weekend or thereabouts (in that window) and I am trying to co-ordinate something that suits whoever is up for it. Anyone reading this who's interested, by all means PM me or post here. Could actually evolve into a bit of a minor classic at this rate :-), the sort of memorable run I always had in mind.

A little off topic but on Sunday just past I found a Harveys map and someone's notes for a 23 hr round (on Friday 18 April) just before Ill Crag. Map and notes are currently drying out in my living room. Just give me a "PM" shout if they're yours !

Shame i didn't refer to them more as I then got lost in the clag between Ill Crag and Broad Crag...
    Be what you wanna be !