Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duathlon

Duathlon

Having not run since Ras y Gader last weekend due to a groin strain I was in two minds whether or not to compete in this mornings Darley Moor Sprint Duathlon that a friend had persuaded me to enter.

As it was relatively local I decided to give it a go. On arrival it soon became apparent that I was a fish out of water. Lots of suntanned folk about, very expensive looking bikes and an array of multi coloured one piece tri suits with club logos from all over the country.

As I racked my bike in transition and saw fancy shoes attached to pedals, some with elastic bands to keep them level, I wondered whether my rat trap approach, advised by my friend, would cut the mustard. He reckoned that as I had no experience of transitions the best bet, to avoid mishaps and losing time, was not to change shoes and only putting on and taking off my helmet was the only thing to think about. He was so convinced, that already qualified for next years European and World Championships, he entered the event, as an experiment, and fitted rat traps to his bike. He gained 20 secs on his first transition and 15 on his second.

Anyway, as I stood on the start line at the race briefing in my Ron Hill shorts and running top I realised that I was the only one not wearing a fancy tri suit. I was also the only one with numbers pinned back and front as I didn't have a number belt.

Off we went on the first run of 3 miles which I took in a steady 20.47. I breezed out of transition on my bike, picking up places on those changing their shoes, but straight into a headwind on my own.

I managed to tag onto the back of the leaders who came past, a lap ahead on the 8 lap, 12 mile, circuit but around a hairpin bend I slowed down, and never having ridden in a group before, lost the wheel and spent most of the next 7 laps alone, finishing in 31 min 35 sec.

The second transition was smooth, only having to take off my helmet, but my legs just did not know what day of the week it was as I set off on the final 1.5 mile run. It felt as if I was running in treacle but managed to get back in 10 min 25 secs.

Of the 274 starters I managed to finish 146th, and to my surprise, 1st in my age group which means I have qualified for a GB vest in next years European Championships. The venue, as yet, is not known but knowing my luck it'll be somewhere like Milton Keynes, Sunderland, Port Talbot or Ilkley!

Whether I take up the offer of a place is another matter as it'll be an expensive do and if overseas I'll have to get a passport.

I did enjoy the event but not really my cup of tea as it is a bit blingy for my liking, but, those expensive bikes and fancy tri suits would get around a bit quicker if they fitted rat traps, the proof being that I was in the top 15 for transition times!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 29-05-2023 at 01:05 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    [QUOTE=Llani Boy;683703

Of the 274 starters I managed to finish 146th, and to my surprise, 1st in my age group which means I have qualified for a GB vest in next years European Championships. The venue, as yet, is not known but knowing my luck it'll be somewhere like Milton Keynes, Sunderland, Port Talbot or Ilkley!

Whether I take up the offer of a place is another matter as it'll be an expensive do and if overseas I'll have to get a passport.

I did enjoy the event but not really my cup of tea as it is a bit blingy for my liking, but, those expensive bikes and fancy tri suits would get around a bit quicker if they fitted rat traps, the proof being that I was in the top 15 for transition times![/QUOTE]

Well done! Your comments about the general bling and the transitions are very interesting. Presumably by rat traps you mean pedals with cages. From what I can find the description seems to have migrated from pedals with serrated edges to the cages that were subsequently attached to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Having not run since Ras y Gader last weekend due to a groin strain I was in two minds whether or not to compete in this mornings Darley Moor Sprint Duathlon that a friend had persuaded me to enter.

As it was relatively local I decided to give it a go. On arrival it soon became apparent that I was a fish out of water. Lots of suntanned folk about, very expensive looking bikes and an array of multi coloured one piece tri suits with club logos from all over the country.

As I racked my bike in transition and saw fancy shoes attached to pedals, some with elastic bands to keep them level, I wondered whether my rat trap approach, advised by my friend, would cut the mustard. He reckoned that as I had no experience of transitions the best bet, to avoid mishaps and losing time, was not to change shoes and only putting on and taking off my helmet was the only thing to think about. He was so convinced, that already qualified for next years European and World Championships, he entered the event, as an experiment, and fitted rat traps to his bike. He gained 20 secs on his first transition and 15 on his second.

Anyway, as I stood on the start line at the race briefing in my Ron Hill shorts and running top I realised that I was the only one not wearing a fancy tri suit. I was also the only one with numbers pinned back and front as I didn't have a number belt.

Off we went on the first run of 3 miles which I took in a steady 20.47. I breezed out of transition on my bike, picking up places on those changing their shoes, but straight into a headwind on my own.

I managed to tag onto the back of the leaders who came past, a lap ahead on the 8 lap, 12 mile, circuit but around a hairpin bend I slowed down, and never having ridden in a group before, lost the wheel and spent most of the next 7 laps alone, finishing in 31 min 35 sec.

The second transition was smooth, only having to take off my helmet, but my legs just did not know what day of the week it was as I set off on the final 1.5 mile run. It felt as if I was running in treacle but managed to get back in 10 min 25 secs.

I did enjoy the event but not really my cup of tea as it is a bit blingy for my liking, but, those expensive bikes and fancy tri suits would get around a bit quicker if they fitted rat traps, the proof being that I was in the top 15 for transition times!
    A nice piece of writing.

If you expand it for The Fellrunner you could have a photo of the winner bedecked in all the bling and...er you, not. Compare & Contrast?

Ilkley has an interesting hilly Triathlon route. Good for 40 mph on the winding descent of Curly Hill. (Yes, really).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thanks Mike.

The pedals which I purchased from Decathlon for £11.99 were described as "Road Bike Pedals with Toeclips"

I am told that on a standard duathlon and even a hilly sprint one, although transition would still be quicker and with less potential for things to go wrong, the advantaged gained would be lost by not being "clipped in" with the confusingly described "clipless pedals".

Brilliant result Llani Boy. Well done!

Having a GB vest would be great. But given how complicated it might be (and not really your main sport) - perhaps having the pub story about the time you turned down a GB vest might be even better.

How's your swimming? There are certainly more triathlons that duathlons.

Thanks Noel.

Doggy paddle only I'm afraid!

Triathlete types do like dressing up, bless ‘em, and if ever there was a sport which epitomised “if I spend more on gear, the faster I will be” this is it.
    Well done in upholding the fell running cause and not bowing to fashion. I agree with refuse the vest and dine out on the story - got to be worth a few pints in your dotage 🍺
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Absolutely brilliant Llani, well done!

My mate who ran for Warwickshire at the inter-counties is a duathlete... he just competed in the world champs in Ibiza and i believe was 6th v45 in the world! (incidentally he also beat me by 2 minutes at the inter-counties... surely a far more worthy accomplishment!)

Personally i'm not a fan a triathlon or similar, having had a bit of an encounter with some triathletes the evening before the Peris race a few years ago... i'd take the vest though (financials permitting).... absolute once in a lifetime opportunity.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I appeared to be the only one with unshaven legs!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, I appeared to be the only one with unshaven legs!
    You studied that closely?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".