Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's eating

Master
    Home made - not by me - damson and apple crumble - yummy! We are going to freeze all the damsons we can get hold of.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Other than Cider and making loads of apple puree, any ideas for a glut of apples?
    I've juiced a load but can't sore that for long and prefer not to take up too much freezer space.

We've also had a bumper crop of figs this year so have been experimenting with those other than eating raw.
    Best one so far has to be a tarte tatin - basically just a layer of halved figs with butter and sugar topped with puff pastry. I added a single star anise which sets the figgyness off nicely. Served with a dollop of crème fraiche - yum!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Other than Cider and making loads of apple puree, any ideas for a glut of apples?
    I've juiced a load but can't sore that for long and prefer not to take up too much freezer space.

We've also had a bumper crop of figs this year so have been experimenting with those other than eating raw.
    Best one so far has to be a tarte tatin - basically just a layer of halved figs with butter and sugar topped with puff pastry. I added a single star anise which sets the figgyness off nicely. Served with a dollop of crème fraiche - yum!
    You can store undamaged apples for a few months by wrapping them individually in newspaper and placing gently in a box,then keeping in a cool, dark place. Those trays you see discarded in supermarkets are handy to keep them apart.

But beware, the one bad apple proverb can literally come true!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Half are keepers and I use old mushroom trays and newspaper for some of those. I have a lot of early ones too which won't keep longer than a few weeks.

Master
    I have dehyrated my glut of Apples, along with

Grapes, Mango`s, Strawberries, Blueberries,Banannas and of course Beef jerky.I find that all my dehydrated goodies take up very little space in the camper plus it is great for grazing on whilst putting in the miles in the hills (it weighs very little).

Then of course when Backpacking it is easily added to cous cous, pasta, porridge etc and reconstituted with boiling water. TBH once you have a dehydrator you will be suprised by the variety and amount of beneficial stuff you can make use off in fact so far my imagiation has been my only limitatation.

Then of course if like me you enjoy Brandy this may be of interest:-

http://https://www.instructables.com/id/Apple-Brandy/

Have fun
    Last edited by JohnK; 11-09-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Grapes, Mango`s, Strawberries, Blueberries,Banannas and of course Beef jerky.
    You grow mangoes and bananas in your garden?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    You grow mangoes and bananas in your garden?
    Nope but obviously I buy what I enjoy eating and always dehydrate any excess rather than waste it.

I dont keep cattle either
    Last edited by JohnK; 11-09-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Oh hell yes!! Dehydrators are awesome. I really should make more use of mine, super silly not to!!

I got mine in one of my food/diet experiments - I went raw vegan for 18 months, and 12 months preparation leaning how to do a whole bunch of things for which a dehydrator is pretty much essential - which did kinda made me feel like I had seen enough of my dehydrator to last a lifetime. Clearly not as the idea of using it now makes me feel happy - thanks for the reminder!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

Grapes, Mango`s, Strawberries, Blueberries,Banannas and of course Beef jerky.I find that all my dehydrated goodies take up very little space in the camper plus it is great for grazing on whilst putting in the miles in the hills (it weighs very little).

Then of course when Backpacking it is easily added to cous cous, pasta, porridge etc and reconstituted with boiling water. TBH once you have a dehydrator you will be suprised by the variety and amount of beneficial stuff you can make use off in fact so far my imagiation has been my only limitatation.

Then of course if like me you enjoy Brandy this may be of interest:-

http://https://www.instructables.com/id/Apple-Brandy/

Have fun
    Cheers John,

That's really interesting. I like the idea of the dehydrator - I have another potential glut on the horizon. Grapes are looking good this year and I normally just juice them as the wine has not been that great.

Mushrooms fried in butter, on slightly old (extra crunch) sourdough rye toast, with parmesan, rocket and pumpkin seed oil - nom!!

Seems like a good opportunity to shout out for SolidTeknics' solid wrought AUS-ION pans - good grief, when I think about all the crappy 'non-stick' pans I have bought, been disappointed with and eventually given up on and thrown away over the years, I feel so silly for not doing this much earlier in life - not cheap and a fair amount of (actually very satisfying) work to season - but this is the last frying pan I will ever buy! I swear food tastes much better from it too. 10/10 from me