Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's eating

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Sometimes eating healthly before a race isn't all its cracked up to be. I doubt I've done a fell race without a decent hearty breakfast - usually porridge and banana or eggs on wholemeal toast - but my 10km road race PB was set with a hangover and the fastest time I've set for a local trail race in 10 attempts was after a plateful of pepperoni pizza.

If i'm travelling to the race from home, then i have a rice-based meal 3-4hrs before, and that's for Fell/XC/Track/Road

If in a b&b i've usually gone out to the supermarket and picked up a few bits from the supermarket the night before... wraps, pie, etc.

But wouldn't rule out eating unhealthy stuff... on the day i think it's about calories, it's the days/weeks/months before when the diet counts...

And i'd generally go out and run a morning parkrun on an empty stomach or at most a spoonful or two of Greek Yoghurt...

I do recall doing the Langdale Horseshoe Fell Race off nothing but two cans of Red Bull... that was a particularly torrid affair... the fact that is my single (woeful) attempt at that race is something i need to put right!

I think hydration is built up in the days leading up to a race too... first couple of years i used to hammer water on long fell races, and i think that's why i used to feel sick so often after a few hours... Now it's just a couple of sips every half hour (obviously there are exceptions, very long races and/or incredibly hot conditions).
    Last edited by Travs; 15-01-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Breakfast wise I normally go porridge and bananas in the morning before running.

In my twenties I was chasing sub 17min for 5K, even going so far as being tee-total (a day or so) before races. The night before one race a couple of friends called, I thought sod it and went out for a few pints. Next day I smashed my 5K target. In reality I suspect it was because I was relaxed the night before rather than my alternatice carbo loading that aided my performance. I've never been too concerned about about a wee tipple before a race since though.

I've heard a few anecdotes like this. I wonder if mild dehydration actually helps in short races, because you're lighter - it's certainly the easiest way to lose a few pounds.

Probably wouldn't help on longer races, where hydration is more of an issue.

I'd say that if anything it's psychological rather than physiological...

Perhaps because as PiesAreGood says you are relaxed... and then you turn up the next day for your run feeling a little sorry for yourself, you take that weight of expectation off yourself.

Obviously if you've had to spew up in a hedge on the way to the start-line the next day you've probably taken it too far... i remember going to raves in London/Milton Keynes in the early 2000's, coming back on the sunday morning train and getting changed straight out to sunday football... can wholly recommend not doing it...
    Last edited by Travs; 15-01-2021 at 05:04 PM.

I definitely think in my case it was psychological. I only had a couple, not a big session, and definitely wasn't hungover the next morning.
    I think the key thing was I wasn't sitting at home fixating on the race next morning but relaxing, having a nice time, so I probably got much better sleep and didn't burn any nervous energy.

I've tried running hungover, while running can "sweat it out", I've never felt particularly fleet of foot while doing it.

My wife said to me today this morning " we've not had a Chinese Takeaway for ages". Ages I replied, more like 6 or 7 years since the health people closed down the Bamboo Cottage in Bakewell for being filthy.

And it has to be really filthy for the authority's to close these places down.

When I think about it we've not had a chinky or any other takeaway meal since then, excluding the once a month Lathkil Hotel takeaway Sunday lunch we have been having in lockdown.

One of the reasons is that there is not an abundance of food outlets near enough, and that certainly is not a complaint. If we have fish and chips we go to Longnor and sit in, in the best fish and chip shop in the world!

After all this Covid business I don't think I'll ever visit a chinky again.

Having said the above I must confess that I do have the odd McDonalds when travelling to/from Wales or other longish journeys, but I don't class those as a meal!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I worked in MacDonalds as a teenager, and have never eaten in there since, which probably says a lot about how i rate their food.

Fish & Chips when in the Lakes/Wales is always a treat. And i do enjoy a nice Indian or similar meal after a race.

Probably my favourite is visiting the Farm Shop at Tebay Services on the way home.

I've never been too taken with Chinese Takeaways, although when in London i'll always head to ChinaTown for a good meal.

4 pancakes. Had mine with lemon and sugar which I think can’t be bettered. 6 yr old had 5, she was on the chocolate spread which I think is tantamount to sacrilege. Our laal lad (1) had 3 and wasn’t fussy about the topping, but managed a decent squirt of lemon in his eye.

Tarte au Citron. A lockdown baking triumph, bloody lovely. A bit complicated, but worth it. Following a recipe from last Saturdays Gruniad cooking section.