Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's eating

Master
    This - in the Chef's tips - is the important difference from most crumble recipes:

"Traditionally, the crumble is added on to the top of the cooked filling and then baked. I have found that the steam generated by the fruit compote creates a stodgy, heavy topping with only the very top being crusty. It will also be indigestible as the flour is not cooked. The technique that I propose is to pre-cook the crumble and finish baking it off to a crusty, crumbly, dry finish."

Just made one with fallen apples from our tree.
    Went for a new crumble mix as one child is recently dairy-intolerant: coconut oil, maple syrup, ground almonds and oats. Bond it together in a pan whilst the apples were stewing. Then bung it in the oven.
    Absolute class.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    This - in the Chef's tips - is the important difference from most crumble recipes:

"Traditionally, the crumble is added on to the top of the cooked filling and then baked. I have found that the steam generated by the fruit compote creates a stodgy, heavy topping with only the very top being crusty. It will also be indigestible as the flour is not cooked. The technique that I propose is to pre-cook the crumble and finish baking it off to a crusty, crumbly, dry finish."
    I have never cooked the fruit before baking the crumble. So the crumble topping does remain crusty, although the plums I was using were so juicy that they did moisten the topping a little, where the juice was bubbling up around the edges. This doesn't tend to happen with apples or blackberries.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post

"I have found that the steam generated by the fruit compote creates a stodgy, heavy topping with only the very top being crusty. It will also be indigestible as the flour is not cooked "
    But, to my unsophisticated, school-meals-ruined palate, that's the very bit I adore and crave for! Chewy, heavy and stodgy...mmmmmmmmm
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    But, to my unsophisticated, school-meals-ruined palate, that's the very bit I adore and crave for! Chewy, heavy and stodgy...mmmmmmmmm
    I'd agree with that. A good crumble should have 3 layers - the fruit, a good crumbly crust and the sticky, stodgy bit in the middle. I also like to add some additional dry ingredients to the crumble. Oats, ground nuts or a tablespoon or 2 of muesli add an extra crunch. Maybe not to everyone's taste but a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon is a must on an apple crumble too.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I'd agree with that. A good crumble should have 3 layers - the fruit, a good crumbly crust and the sticky, stodgy bit in the middle. I also like to add some additional dry ingredients to the crumble. Oats, ground nuts or a tablespoon or 2 of muesli add an extra crunch. Maybe not to everyone's taste but a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon is a must on an apple crumble too.
    Lashings of piping hot, THICK, deep yellow custard are all the extras I required, thankyou.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Oats/nuts/cinnamon - in full agreement with all of those. I am willing to accept the stodgy middle layer, as long as the top is dry/crusty/crunchy.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Overrun with apples at the moment. Along with squashes and beans, it has been one of the few crops to do well this year so spent the evening peeling, coring and stewing to make apple purée for freezing and using in anything applely for the next few months. Good to use with pork, add a dollop to porridge or dare I mention it, a crumble.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Collecting loads of hazel nuts, another bumper harvest. Missus loves sitting there cracking my nuts (does one turn into Frankie Howerd at a certain age?) but won't eat them (this is getting worse).
    Roast them in oven or top of wood burner and then I put them through the grinder and store for winter. Add them on top of porridge or something, perhaps add to tiffin cake?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Green tomato and Chilli chutney made today in this poor weather - lay down stocks for a winter of discontent.Then our spuds, runner beans and carrots with trout for tea. God bless the allotment. Freezer is full of fruit and Veg. Planning a Summer Pudding for Monday when my sister and husband are visiting.