Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's eating

Garlic soup

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Collecting loads of hazel nuts, another bumper harvest. Missus loves sitting there cracking my nuts (does one turn into Frankie Howerd at a certain age?) but won't eat them (this is getting worse).
    Roast them in oven or top of wood burner and then I put them through the grinder and store for winter. Add them on top of porridge or something, perhaps add to tiffin cake?
    I'm still struggling to understand how you can gather hazelnuts in edible condition. The hazel tree in my garden produces two kinds of nuts: the unripe ones, and the ones that are inside squirrels' stomachs.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm still struggling to understand how you can gather hazelnuts in edible condition. The hazel tree in my garden produces two kinds of nuts: the unripe ones, and the ones that are inside squirrels' stomachs.
    Simple, I trapped and killed the grey squirrels in the valley ( over 700 and I ate some, a double plus). Landlord of the local pub said to me this afternoon what a good job I had done as he had seen no grey's and plenty of hazel nuts about. We picked another bag full of fallen nuts off the road coming back from the pub.
    Sadly, I don't know of anyone else taking advantage of the food, they all moan when the squirrels eat all the nuts and then can't be bothered to harvest them when available.
    Human nature!

Mushroom soup from mushrooms gathered this afternoon.

This year has been the best year for mushrooms in recent memory. I have been gathering them for at least six weeks and with the mild spell due to continue many more to come. I could do with another freezer in the garage!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Mushroom soup from mushrooms gathered this afternoon.

This year has been the best year for mushrooms in recent memory. I have been gathering them for at least six weeks and with the mild spell due to continue many more to come. I could do with another freezer in the garage!
    You could dry them if they are in good condition and the the flavour is good?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Found one spot of good field mushrooms this afternoon, enough for breakfast with bacon and egg 👍
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Yeah, i'd probably end up picking toadstools and then dead. I've actually seen quite a few big looking mushrooms/toadstools, i can't tell the difference, up in the pastures of wharfedale.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Yeah, i'd probably end up picking toadstools and then dead. I've actually seen quite a few big looking mushrooms/toadstools, i can't tell the difference, up in the pastures of wharfedale.
    Do take care - there was a widely publicised group who ate foraged mushrooms and some needed kidney transplants and one died, from what I remember.

Years ago when I was still working a patient was admitted down in Suffolk having eaten foraged mushrooms - they had typical symptoms and signs of mushroom poisoning - those symptoms and signs would be exceedingly rare in any other context. Someone who regarded themselves as a foraging expert had a look at the remaining mushrooms and declared them "OK". So even the experienced make mistakes - there was no alternative explanation.

In Italy I understand some markets have "mushroom police" and you can bring what you have collected along for their expert judgement.

Returning home with my frozen turkey yesterday I realised that there was no room in the freezer. I had to remove a load of raspberries to make room for it so this morning I made 12lb of Jam.

Just had some on a slice of toast

Pie and a Pint for £12 in the local this evening.

Lamb, Black Pudding and Wholegrain Mustard Pie, Chips and Peas washed down with Magic Mushroom Mild 3.8% from Whim Brewery, Hartington.