Page 72 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 LastLast

Thread: Today's eating

Having avoided Chinese food since Covid I dipped my toe into those dubious culinary waters this lunchtime. My son had a takeaway last night and I found the leftovers in the fridge.

So todays lunch was Chicken in Black Bean sauce and Fried Rice which had some unidentifiable colourful bits in.

After a good blast in the microwave I let it cool a bit and it was very tasty.

I'm still alive an hour later but now hungry again.

Some things never change!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

First blackberries of the year! A lovely crumble with crème fraiche. Perfectly complemented my filo parcels with smoked haddock and allotment veg. Good year for beetroot - using a lot more of it grated raw - supposed to be good for one. It has the power to turn your wee red!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    First blackberries of the year! A lovely crumble with crème fraiche. Perfectly complemented my filo parcels with smoked haddock and allotment veg. Good year for beetroot - using a lot more of it grated raw - supposed to be good for one. It has the power to turn your wee red!
    We must be growing low power beetroot - it only goes pink...

Glut of climbing french beans at the moment so freezer beckons for a load at the weekend although they have been great with various dishes this week, chickpea masala curry and a rosemary and garlic cannelini bean mash to name but two.
    Courgettes were also doing well but are sulking at the moment after a couple of weeks of cooler weather.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have been eating blackberries on some of my walks for over a week now. But I still sometimes go out with secateurs to cut the brambles back when they are over the paths.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Our local blackberries are nowhere near ready - but then we have had so little sunshine since the "heatwave" ended.

Nowhere near blackberries here in mid Wales, but there's a good crop coming along. Our garden raspberries have just finished (a massive crop this year), but autumn raspberries will soon be starting.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Nowhere near blackberries here in mid Wales, but there's a good crop coming along. Our garden raspberries have just finished (a massive crop this year), but autumn raspberries will soon be starting.
    I had another look today - still nowhere near ready - only about 1 in 200 is actually black, or black in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Much as I like Mid Wales, Yorkshire seems ahead in the blackberry stakes. Picked and froze 5lb this week.

Much as I like Mid Wales, Yorkshire seems ahead in the blackberry stakes. Picked and froze 5lb this week.
    I've just spent a few hours in Carmarthen (car in garage), loads of ripe blackberries hanging over a garden wall above the pavement, and an oportunist lady picking them 👍. 35 miles down the valley are a couple of weeks ahead of us here in the hills.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Horsforth has blackberries