Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has Midges?

Who has Midges?

Tebay Fell race route today and there's flipping midges in February

undercover moderator

Re: Who has Midges?

Well it's spring, so maybe they're just very small baby birds?

david

I took the lid off the composter today and hundreds of little flies shot out. I put the lid back on quick.

Joliver Jim

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I took the lid off the composter today and hundreds of little flies shot out. I put the lid back on quick.
    That reminds me. I've never had to do a garden before but there's a big black compost bin out there. How do I do it? Compost.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Joliver Jim View Post

That reminds me. I've never had to do a garden before but there's a big black compost bin out there. How do I do it? Compost.
    you have to take the lid off and jump up and down on your peelings everyday for a month to re activate the process

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    you have to take the lid off and jump up and down on your peelings everyday for a month to re activate the process
    take the lid off and put anything organic in it - peelings, leaves, weeds, grass clippings, letters, envelopes, newspaper, put the lid back on to stop rats settiung up a home in it. after a while, magic happens and it turns to stuff you can dig into your garden that improves the soil. the good stuff comes out the bottom of the compost bin - there should be a little hatch for you to dig it out with a garden fork or something.

its good as you throw less in the bin that needs to go to landfill.

Lots of midges today around the North Leeds area. Beautiful day mind you, sunny, clear and quite warm (for Feb)

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by daz h
    you have to take the lid off and jump up and down on your peelings everyday for a month
    while weeing.

Joliver Jim

Thank you Daleside. Should be interesting giving it a go. How long am I supposed to leave it then? Is now the wrong time of year to start?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    take the lid off and put anything organic in it - peelings, leaves, weeds, grass clippings, letters, envelopes, newspaper, put the lid back on to stop rats settiung up a home in it. after a while, magic happens and it turns to stuff you can dig into your garden that improves the soil. the good stuff comes out the bottom of the compost bin - there should be a little hatch for you to dig it out with a garden fork or something.

its good as you throw less in the bin that needs to go to landfill.

Quote Originally Posted by Joliver Jim View Post
    Thank you Daleside. Should be interesting giving it a go. How long am I supposed to leave it then? Is now the wrong time of year to start?
    Unfortunately yes. 14th of March is the first day of the composting season.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.