Thread: "Navigational skills"...

"Navigational skills"...

Hi folks,

i am a newbie to fell running, having only done one race; but i have a question regarding the navigational element on fell races...

one of the events i am looking at requires "navigational skills" and is partially marked...

now i have asked some more experienced fell runners what this entails and what i need to be learning/brushing up on... sadly every answer has been vague to say the least!...

i assume i will need to be able to map read and navigate from point to point, is there any tips, advice you can offer me???

Cheers

Dan.

Wink Re: "Navigational skills"...

Usually you can get away with following everyone else, so to speak. Although you should be able to orientate a map to your surroundings and be capable of navigating from point to point if visibility is poor or you lose the way. You will probably find that you are okay. How far is the race and what grade is it?

Re: "Navigational skills"...

As long as you are happy that you can find your way back if you 'get lost' using map/compass that's the main thing. Fell races are different from orienteering events and the requirement is primarily a safety one. Route planning/recce's are a good idea for some of the longer events and in bad weather you may need to refer to your map/compass unless of course you know the route well enough not to.

Quote Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
    sadly every answer has been vague to say the least!...

i assume i will need to be able to map read and navigate from point to point, is there any tips, advice you can offer me???
    Bit like a lot of peoples nav skills.

I started with running local paths and bridleways with an OS map. Got the hang of following where you were according to the map. I then went into moors and did similar. Nothing too hard really about it.

Suppose best advice I can give is learn to navigate off features such as hills, boulder fields, crags as well as paths, walls, cairns.

It is not the case that all paths, walls cairns etc will still be there but most features probably will be.

Learn to take a bearing as well.

It is really quite easy when you get the hang of it. The real trick is doing it at speed or when clag is down. Most races there will be limited actual navigation needed but if you lose everyone else or find that you have gone off route then thats when your nav is really needed.

As with most things, just go out there and have a go in a non-race situ and go from there.

The FRA navigation courses are highly recommended Barney.
    Weekend courses at Kettlewell in March and Elterwater in September.
    PM me if you want more info.

Quote Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
    Hi folks,

i am a newbie to fell running, having only done one race; but i have a question regarding the navigational element on fell races...

one of the events i am looking at requires "navigational skills" and is partially marked...

now i have asked some more experienced fell runners what this entails and what i need to be learning/brushing up on... sadly every answer has been vague to say the least!...

Cheers Dan.
    All good points already mentioned but to add,
    1)Get out with a friend who can navigate and get them to teach you.
    2)Go out on a good day and use the map to cover the route picking place to find on route and to spot and relate to the map, sit down from a good vantage point and look around find things on your map and visa versa. Allways have your map out a look at it, Waiting to until you need to use it is too late. learn how to use a compass
    3) Then try navigating in a familiar area at night( same vis as thick fog) and find direct routes over the ground.
    4)Always keep in your mind the 3 D's when following a route.

Distance, Direction, Discription

So how far do i expect to be traveling and in what direction and what will I see on route. i.e which way should the land slope, will you pass a stream or path junction etc.

You can then develope by using a hand rails or aiming off and pacing etc

Do you have a club nearby who you can go out with. If you are local to the Dark Peak and I'm free i'll take you out.

Ian

My navigational skills have been finely honed by continuously demonstrating no skill at all - in a funny way, with navigation, you get good by making all possible mistakes at least once and then remembering to not do them ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    My navigational skills have been finely honed by continuously demonstrating no skill at all - in a funny way, with navigation, you get good by making all possible mistakes at least once and then remembering to not do them ever again.
    I did notice when we said at malhamdale that we need to refer to the map you just kinda looked at me? Guess it was for the best then really

Stolly does have a point. Only way to learn is by your mistakes, just make sure its not in a race or in sub zero temp

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Stolly does have a point. Only way to learn is by your mistakes, just make sure its not in a race or in sub zero temp
    Agree. Amazes me that so many runners spend so much attention on all aspects of their game but not navigation, the one thing that can cost you so badly, especially on long races.

I just think get out and practice and don't be scared to get yourself lost and trying to relocate, eventually you'll work out where you are, and eventually you get quicker. I think for runners there's a greater emphasis on re-location skills and that's normally when we get the map out after realising things aren't adding up. Many people only bother with navigation when stressed out in a race, rushing and basically have sod all chance of getting it right as they are rushing.

Countour recognition skills just come from going out with a map and looking what the contour features look like on the ground.

Saying that I can't think of many races where I've actually had to nav in, but normally I set out with quite a clear idea of the route in my head, so can keep track mentally.

Had a good day out yesterday from Kettleshulme with map & compass.
    Went up to Shining Tor and came back through the Goyt Valley.
    Went up via Thursbitch which I had never done before and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Very muddy though and I managed to get myself and map covered!
    Luckily there were plenty of streams to wash in.
    I can thoroughly recommend the FRA Navigation Course.