Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road bike route Peak District

Re: Road bike route Peak Distr

some top routes to be had... must admit not a big fan of Snake Pass as the cars tend to be a bit hairy.... you've got to get Winnatts in there somewhere too.

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA

A nice route but it doesnt matter if you start in Hayfield or Glossop. From Hayfield go towards Glossop up that pig of a hill called Car Meadow then down Chunal into Glossop. Right at the lights and up towards the snake pass. 3.2 mile from the Royal Oak to Snake Summit then its fast riding all the way more or less to Ladybower. Right over the second Viaduct towards Bamford. Go through Bamford and then right at the Junction ( derelict pub right in front - marquess of gransbury). Flat road for about 5 miles or so then make a left up towards bradwell then continue for a few miles on a hilly an undulating road. right at the t junction towards Peak Forest and on towards sparrow pit and Chapel en le frith. left a roundabout then right at next one - 2 miles or so and right under railway bridge - steep hill for about 2 miles then fast descent down peep o day into Hayfield. A stiff and hilly approx 38 mile ride. One of my favs

Correction to 'Phil and Friends Ride' it is miles and not kilometres. Takes in all the favourite climbs and so many people do it that your never really completely on your own - which helps if there is a headwind.

Have discovered a great Tour of Flanders cobbled type climb just outside of Whaley Bridge... Ride out of Whaley Bridge on Macclesfield Road and take road on right just before David Ross Nursery in Kettleshume. Follow road down and ignore Unsuitable for Vehicles sign. Go over bridge, shift to bottom gear and enjoy... pops out on road to High Disley so turn left for more climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Have discovered a great Tour of Flanders cobbled type climb just outside of Whaley Bridge... Ride out of Whaley Bridge on Macclesfield Road and take road on right just before David Ross Nursery in Kettleshume. Follow road down and ignore Unsuitable for Vehicles sign. Go over bridge, shift to bottom gear and enjoy... pops out on road to High Disley so turn left for more climbing.
    I prefer doing that route anticlockwise.

a good one from sheffield goes down the A57 to Ladybower, left at the lights through bamford right at the bottom then left at the lights through bradwell, then through tideswell, millers dale. then a right and left all the way down to hartington. returning via bakewell/ calver up froggatt over to ringinglow and lodgemoor and back to the A57

if anyone wants the full route i can dig it out

Master and MR

no cobbles for me tonight but stacks of climbing , about 50 miles i reckon and you really cannot go wrong in the peak. Bit hairy coming back to Derby from ashbourne mind as its a busy road
    If you go from cromford up via gellia and on to newhaven its a great climb but not for the LOMAS trucks that quew behind you , ho ho.

3 miles for me tonight.... 1.5 miles to the pub. Watch footie, drink too much and 1.5 miles back.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    3 miles for me tonight.... 1.5 miles to the pub. Watch footie, drink too much and 1.5 miles back.
    too much to drink = random post in wrong thread.......

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post

did you padlock the bike up in the pub