Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMM 20 or 25 Rucsac

OMM 20 or 25 Rucsac

Hi all,

I've spoke to a couple of runners but thought I'd throw this open to debate.

I'm in the process of buying one of the above for long/mutiday challenges etc and I think I can get every thing in a 20 (Just) but I would need to get the foam back upgraded which then means the price is the same as the 25.

The 25 seems to me to be better for carrying and better pockets etc. I can be strict and not fill it but the space is there in case I need it.

My heart say's one thing and my head say's another.

I've got both packs at home now to try out and fill with what I would take thanks to Team Accelerate.

Your thoughts

Re: OMM 20 or 25 Rucsac

I'd go 20l. I have a 10l KIMM, 20l Solamon, and 25l OMM, and all get or have got regular use. I find the 25L too big for long days out unless I'm out in winter when I'll be taking mitts/crampons etc. The 20L is perfect for long days out for me. I do find quite a big difference though between my solaman 20l and OMM 25l, the OMM seems more than just 5L big.

This weekend I used the 20L on the GL3D and it was great, could have fitted quite a bit more food in yet.

Depends which you'd do more, long days or multi days, if the former I'd go 20L, if doing lots of both I'd get both.

You know my thoughts but I will put up here for the sake of debate.

I have the 25l and find it a great bag, but just that bit too big. Perfect for multidayers and I do have a fair bit of space left over but I wish I had gone with the 20l

I used it for the HPM and it was too big. I would have used for fellsman but again would have been too big. Running to and from work with clothes in too big. Adventure racing again too big

In my opionion the 20l is more versatile.

If you can fit all your stuff in already into a 20l why do you need more space?

[quote=IainR;128154] I do find quite a big difference though between my solaman 20l and OMM 25l, the OMM seems more than just 5L big.

[quote]

I have heard a lot of people say that the OMM sacks tend to be bigger than other brands of the same volume.

I reckon quite a few manufacturers stretch the truth with the volume where it seems like OMM sacks are that bit bigger (or maybe they are actually the quoted size?)

Graeme

I've got the OMM 20 and I think it's got the foam back in, I'll check tonight if I remember. Got it from lakes runner for about £35 with discount, if that's any help.

I bought a salomon revo 20 last year for long days out but found it rubs my back raw whenever it is wet - through rain or sweat. I am thinking of replacing it with OMM 20l as it is the only one that comes near on weight. Has anyone had problems with rubbing on the OMMs ?

Thanks for any feedback.

Graeme

I had a bit of a problem with OMM 25 but I think that was because the pack was too big for what I needed. I've not used the 20 enough to test it properly.

I have the OMM 25l and did the Saunders in it. It was great, no rubbing at all. However I think I can get the size down to 20l and on another thread asked about the Salomon 20l as it seems unfeasably light given the features. Difference in weight between the 2 OMM sacs is about 200g...which doesn't seem a lot but a few 200gs here and there soon makes 1kg!! So if I were you I'd go for the 20l sac.

ps I should add the larger sac has 2 features the smaller doesn't which is worth taking into consideration.Firstly the hip pockets are zipped on the 25l, they are just a mesh 'pouch' on the 20l. Secondly the 25l has a zipped outer pocket on the lid that the 20l doesn't have. Its useful for putting food/gloves/hat etc in that you might need and saves having to get into your pac to get them out.
    Last edited by Bladerunner; 07-05-2008 at 08:58 PM.

I've got a 20 & think it's great - taken the foam back out & compressed it down to make a light day/hydration pack with good access pockets; or used it as a big day pack. Haven't tried a marathon with it but figure if its a bit small I'd add the chest pack

I have just bought my wife the Saloman Revo 20, when we read the tags it's capacity is actually only 17l, if you include the side & front mesh it will push it up a bit nearer the implied 20 but it's no-where near the capacity of my OMM 20l/25l (not sure on the size, it takes everything I put in it!).
    Last edited by DanAzz; 08-05-2008 at 08:03 AM.