Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Utmb

Re: UTMB Equipment/shoes?

Will try on some Inov8 roclite's tommorrow. Not sure. Wore asics 1110's for the WHW (had bad blisters) and my walshes for the Paddy Buckley, never had blisters in my Walsh PB's but not sure they will be suitable on hard surfaces..

Last year I wore Inovates but i found they didnt have enough cushioning. by mile 80 my lower legs had turned to mush .this year i will wear assics cumulus ,the ones with gel in the front and back.also compression socks, to keep the lower legs from swelling. Poles which i will use from the start(ive been practicing) I finnished last year with sticks from the forrest., get to the start early so you dont get stuck behind the man dressed as a hamburger. and an old karrimor day sack with all the flaps and pockets cut off .Last year i wore a pb bum bag which was fine but very full.

Here's a photo of Marco Olmo winning in 2006:
    http://chris-upson.com/gallery/UTMB2006/target14.html
    You can see he's just wearing road shoes.

And the guy who finished 2nd was wearing Nike Pegasus:
    http://chris-upson.com/gallery/UTMB2006/target15.html

I wonder if they did a quick swap at Champex Lac. Or even at Courmayeur knowing the weather was good. Or if they comitted to the whole route in them no matter what.
    I think I will set off in my usual road shoes and have the option of Montrail Hardrocks at Cormayuer just in case I don't get on with them. I agree they are a bit on the heavy side but they are comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewaller View Post
    get to the start early so you dont get stuck behind the man dressed as a hamburger.
    This isn't necessarily good advice. I got there reasonably early in 2007, got near-ish the front (maybe 200 back) and then the organisers were letting people come in at the front of the queue and pushing everyone back. So if you get there earlier, you might end up at the back behind the hamburger man who got there 10 minutes before the start.
    Last edited by Zlod; 16-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlod View Post
    This isn't necessarily good advice. I got there reasonably early in 2007, got near-ish the front (maybe 200 back) and then the organisers were letting people come in at the front of the queue and pushing everyone back. So if you get there earlier, you might end up at the back behind the hamburger man who got there 10 minutes before the start.
    I ended up way back last year which was very tedious inching across the starting line. I guess it doesn't really make a lot of difference and it may be better to roll up not long before the start as the hanging around goes on a bit if you are early.

I'm a big fan of Asics Trabuco. But then I'm not doing the TMB
    Good luck to all of you who are.

Hey Stonewaller - are you the guy I passed in the last k of the race staggering back with branches for poles??

I think I finished 282nd

I then saw you at the finish and said to you that I'd never do it again - you said that by Wednesday I'd think differently and you know what you were right. Your heriocs with the branches and your wise words made it in to my write up of the event.

I'm not doing it this year but will be there to cheer you all on.

Thinking about doing it again in 09.

Good luck guys n gals!!

Hi,I think that must be me .I came in around 300 just as the sun was coming up.Not so sure about the wise words though, After 40 hours without sleep everything seemed a bit of a blur . Glad to hear you will be doing it again at some point. I thought it was worth it just for the hallucinations. See you out there,Ill be the one in stripy shorts.

I've just bought some mizuno wave harriers, ran 30 miles in the lakes in them yesterday, in the rain, wet feet, and suffered no blisters, not too much cushioning though, tempted to try some sorbothane insoles? good idea?