Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Utmb

Re: Utmb 2010

Sorry only just saw this..

I taped them with climbing finger tape and later duct tape, at each junction. I found occassionally they separated. My poles had been modified by a previous owner and so came apart occassionally.

It meant once they were out they were out for good. But I didn't mind using them. I started in chamonix with them, not because I needed them, just to get used to them whilst I was fresh and I just knew I'd keep putting off taking them out.

Re: UTMB Equipment/shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Iain

Could you answer my earlier question on the other UTMB thread here:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...719#post303719

Otherwise it's PM time.
    Just did that, sorry didn't see the question..anyway give us a shout if any questions.. in the states now so may be a while answering.

This whole 'pole' question is doing my head in - I have some cheap poles which weigh 280g each - so roughly twice the weight of the lightweight raidlight/camp xenon ones - this means an additional 280g or spend £75. Is the expenditure worth it? Has anyone used regular weight poles in previous years?

Don't let it bother you too much, I used them, think they helped, others complete in good times without. I ummed and ahhed for a long time. The first year I ran and carried them for 50 miles, then used them when I was in pieces. This time I used them from the off, but this time I was really keyed up for the race havinG DNF'd, but it was also just more favourable conditions, full stop.

I opted for the raidlights, if you want you can borrow mine if you're in North Wales and see what you think (assuming you are chester). Give us a shout.

A big factor in me using them was talking to Chris N and Tim H, the two previous PB record holders and they both used them in their quick rounds. I couldn't believe how strongly Tim was descending at the end so assumed his quads had been saved by the poles. They used carbon leki type poles I think.

Like Iain I dnfd in 2008 without poles, also like Iain I completed in 2009, but again without poles. If you are good at using them I'm sure that they help. I personally prefer the purity of just using my feet.
    For a comparison in 2005 I completed (again no poles) on a shorter course in 38 40 mins. In 2009 I completed in 32 52. Most people use them, but in terms of completing it in your best time I think it’s more down to the conditions on the day and judging your pace accordingly (it can get very hot in the valleys). As Iain says the conditions last year were much more conducive to the Brits.
    Killian never used poles in 2009 either, and he won by over an hour!

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    A big factor in me using them was talking to Chris N and Tim H, the two previous PB record holders and they both used them in their quick rounds. I couldn't believe how strongly Tim was descending at the end so assumed his quads had been saved by the poles. They used carbon leki type poles I think.
    Headless (Eddie Winslow) used poles right from the off on his winter BG in December 2008.

He says they helped him a great deal and, using them for the downs as well, they saved his knees and quads to some extent.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Didn't take my poles (Leki Titanium walking poles) on yesterday's BG recce but I'm going to try them for running soon
    You'll soon get used to them DT.

Mine have been with me on all recent long runs/walks and they are starting to feel like part of me, finally.

Reccied the first half of Trollers on Friday and I was keeping up with the wife uphill. She was running and I was poling.

If you can get used to using them downhill, they will save your knees and quads a fair bit.

Super Moderator

You'll soon get used to them DT.

Mine have been with me on all recent long runs/walks and they are starting to feel like part of me, finally.

Reccied the first half of Trollers on Friday and I was keeping up with the wife uphill. She was running and I was poling.

If you can get used to using them downhill, they will save your knees and quads a fair bit.
    I used them when I walked TMB a few years ago plus in Pyranees and Lakes but not for running. I should be okay with them at Ilkley Moor on Sunday, shouldn't I?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I should be okay with them at Ilkley Moor on Sunday, shouldn't I?
    That would be classic!

Watching everyone trip over your poles on the run up to the Tarn. Ha, ha.

Be worth a Wharfee vid.

Super Moderator

That would be classic!

Watching everyone trip over your poles on the run up to the Tarn. Ha, ha.

Be worth a Wharfee vid.
    It might raise a few questions in Bar t'at afterwards!
    Poacher turned game-keeper