Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Utmb

Re: Utmb 2010

Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Im not planning on using them, but are poles aloud?

Quote Originally Posted by Spelling Bee View Post
    Oh yes, you can a-hear them a-miles away.
    Spelling Bee, I love your avatar. Is it your mission to correct all our spelling mistakes? How about split infinitives etc etc? We could be seeing a lot of you.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Spelling Bee, I love your avatar. Is it your mission to correct all our spelling mistakes? How about split infinitives etc etc? We could be seeing a lot of you.
    Yeah, he could be a busy little Spelling Bee

Hey chester - when I did the UTMB in 2007 I was also drawn into the pole v no pole debate.

I'd never used poles before and generally didn't like the idea. However, a couple of weeks before the race Aldi did some at 4.99 each so I bought a pair and decided to take them. My plan was to give them a whirl and if they were rubbish I'd chuck them in the nearest bin.

I didn't get them off my pack for the first 30 miles but then decided to give them a try - once they were out they never went back - they were absolutely fantastic. As they were cheapies they were pretty done in at the finish and I've never used them since but I honestly believe they improve your stability, make climbing and descending easier and save your quads on UTMB type terrain / distance.

I've been training with the Raid Light poles through the winter/spring.

Managed to break one of the poles over Easter sadly. Suspect a combination of quite a few freezing cold days, leaving them up rather than collpased for too long and lack of maintenance on my part will have contributed.

Decided to have a punt with the Mountain King version available via Likeys to see how they go.

Look almost identical, but a good bit cheaper.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator

I've still not tried 'running' with poles yet. Might give them a spin on tonight's hill rep session before a proper trial at the L,R and W event on Sunday
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Have acquired a cheap pair, which I think I'll try out on the calderdale hike this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    I've been training with the Raid Light poles through the winter/spring.
    How have you been getting on?

I've a love/hate relationship with poles, great when the weather is good but when I'ts raining a lot my hands freeze and I end up carrying them in my sack

I've still not tried 'running' with poles yet. Might give them a spin on tonight's hill rep session before a proper trial at the L,R and W event on Sunday
    If the weather is ok I might use mine as they make a difference on the climbs.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    How have you been getting on?
    Not bad at all Bill really.

On some runs I have carried them from the off, which has the benefit of slowing you down a touch. No bad thing with ultras in mind.

They are definitely helping on the climbs. When training with the wife, my uphill pole-assisted walking speed has sometimes been faster than her running speed (she probably wasn't trying!) They help you keep much more upright and put less strain on the lower back, which suffers less over a long run.

Downhill, they take some time to get used to when running, but now the hand, brain, eye co-ordination seems to have it sorted out, and I haven't tripped over them for ages.

They help most on steep gradients I find, and reduce pressure on the quads. This seems to help me feel fresher later in a long run, when I might struggle more.

On gentler gradients, I cary them in one hand which reduces speed somewhat, which again is a good thing on a longer run.

I may not use them right from the off (and I'm using the Raid Light bag with the pole sleeve so can get them out of harm's way) but they will put in an appearance both in the Marathon du Mont Blanc and in the CCC.

Still, more practice required.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

They help you keep much more upright and put less strain on the lower back, which suffers less over a long run.
    Thats something that suprised me and one of the reasons I like using poles on long climbs.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Thats something that suprised me and one of the reasons I like using poles on long climbs.
    I think that's the main benefit for me too. The walk I use in fell races is just too painful to use for 30 odd hours. I also get strange tendony pain in my elblows from pushing on my thighs, and using the poles saves that.