Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Utmb

Re: Utmb

Transport to Mont Blanc
    Just joined the forum and this will be my first trip to Mont Blanc (UTMB).

I would appreciate any advice on transport and accommodation.
    I was planning to arrive on the Thursday and leave on Monday, is that sufficient?

Haute Route,Utmb,Haute Route

I am planning to run from Zermatt along the Haute Route to Chamonix then follow the UTMB rout to Champex and back up the Haute Route.I am carrying tent etc to try to be as independent as possible but will probably use mountain refuges as and when needed.I do know the UTMB route but if anyone knows the Haute Route any information would be great.

Re: Haute Route,Utmb,Haute Rou

do you mean the walkers haute route or the glacier traversing haute route? Either way, you'll do well to run it with a tent and oher clobber.

Re: Haute Route,Utmb,Haute Rou

have only done it in spring on skis. That route would be too high to easily get food supplies etc unless you use the huts so you would surely have too much to carry?

Thanks, I was actual planning to carry a 'dead' litre for the whole way , and yesterday on the long run I was thinking how I could change the weight of the water by carbonising it and other crazy stuff that in the cold light of day you should never share

Quote Originally Posted by Grantley View Post
    Transport to Mont Blanc
    Just joined the forum and this will be my first trip to Mont Blanc (UTMB).

I would appreciate any advice on transport and accommodation.
    I was planning to arrive on the Thursday and leave on Monday, is that sufficient?
    Grantley,
    Sorry for late reply but I've just seen this. In my opinion your suggested travelling times do not allow enough time. At the very least you need to leave on Tuesday to allow for recovery time. At least that's what I found in 2009. I dropped out at Champex Lac (77 miles) at 7:30pm Saturday and got the 9pm sag waggon back to Chamonix and crashed out in Chamonix into Sunday morning before returning to my accommodation. Even then I was only just about ready to return home on Monday. This year I've booked until Tuesday and hope to finish the race. If you still need accommodation PM me. There's space in the apartment. For transport from / to Geneva Airport I've booked Alpybus.

I'm giving UTMB a bash this year (1st time).

I've been to Chamonix a number of times, but normally rent an apartment with my missus, however, for this trip she seems to think being a bridesmaid at her best friend's wedding is more important than picking me up off the floor after the UTMB!

As a result I'm looking for somewhere to crash (preferably within crawling distance of finish) from Wednesday to Sunday (other commitments result in me having to travel back on Sunday evening - joy!) so any assistance from like minded masochists would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by el muppeeto View Post
    I'm giving UTMB a bash this year (1st time).

I've been to Chamonix a number of times, but normally rent an apartment with my missus, however, for this trip she seems to think being a bridesmaid at her best friend's wedding is more important than picking me up off the floor after the UTMB!

As a result I'm looking for somewhere to crash (preferably within crawling distance of finish) from Wednesday to Sunday (other commitments result in me having to travel back on Sunday evening - joy!) so any assistance from like minded masochists would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steven
    I always stay at the Chalet Ski station when I am off to Chamonix (http://www.skistation.fr/index.php?lang=en). If you don't mind roughing it slightly (its a hostel) this is a good place to go. I would say that for 14.50 euro a night its pretty good vallue for money and you can store your stuff there so you won't have to pay for the days you are out running. There will for sure be plenty of other UTMB runners staying there. I stayed there this year before and after the Mont Blanc Marathon and the hostel was full of other runners.