Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Utmb

Re: UTMB Equipment/shoes?

it means more spending money, but I would be tempted to look at the mizuno trail shoe, can't rememeber their name but the womens version is pinkish, they are on my list of possibles if I get in for next yr.

Currently out in St Gervais, lost of people training on the course - saw Dawa Sherpa (aoplogies for the spelling) seemingly jogging with ease all the way up the col du Bonnhomle - impressive

Unless France is getting the same weather we are; the ground was rock hard last week. I'm going for loads of cushioning and I'm even tempted to stick in some road shoes if it's still really dry.

I have become very attached to my Salomon Speedcross 2s, the black ones.

Comfort factor is impressive when compared with a Walsh or an Innov8 and they are also noticeably more comfortable than my Wave Harriers.

The sole is the same as on the old Speedcross (the dayglo yellow ones) but doesn't bite back on the road or hard trail.

The new model I find is closer fitting and doesn't roll as alarmingly as the old version.

I used them a lot on hols in Cham this year (the weather was good, temps into the 30s and the trails were bone hard) when running and walking, as well as in the Cross du Mont Blanc and they were excellent; good even on snow patches.

They are also helpful in that you can remove the insole and substitute with a full length orthotic if (like me) you need that facility.

I used them at this year's Wasdale and found them fine on that type of ground also. OK, I wasn't going at Pete Vale's speed, but I did do a PB by 55 minutes.

Good shoe!

Best of luck to all you nutcases doing the UTMB. Enjoy and I look forward to hearing the gory details in due course.

Morgan

the ground this week is not rock hard but has been softened nicely by some serious rain

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    it means more spending money, but I would be tempted to look at the mizuno trail shoe, can't rememeber their name but the womens version is pinkish, they are on my list of possibles if I get in for next yr.
    If it's the Wave Ascend, then they're the best pair of trail shoes I've tried - mine have outlasted several other assorted pairs that were never quite as good anyway.

What am I doing here reading these ridiculous threads!

yup those are the ones, a great shoe for me and a good colour...

Now swung back to terrocs.

I wore them for a 100 miler (GL3D) in the Lakes and they were great, but when I wore them on the 'Gelert Bounds I got sore toe nails, but reckon that was from very steep descents off the snowdonia hills.

I'm going to pack wave harriers, road shoes and terrocs, start in one pair and leave each other pair for each of the two bag drops.

ANy ideas where to get raidlight poles from? Everywhere is out of stock, anyone want to sell me a pair? :-)

Don't buy raidlight Buy CAMP Xenon - half the price and seem stronger! I didn't know if to go with poles and was tempted with the raidlight ones but in Snell Sports I spotted these Camp ones in snell for 56 euros minus your 10% discount. I used them on the recce and was really pleased with them.
    http://www.activasport.fr/cgi-bin/pg...id_category=20

Last year all the shops in cham stocked up on products that TMBers would need - if it's the same this year Snell Sports should have plenty of them.

I bought some raidlight but ended up sending two pairs back because the knot holding the shock cord tight was in the wrong place so they collapsed. As indicated above you can pay a lot less for something nearly as light but probably a lot more robust and adjustable in length.

I have been using the RaidLight poles and found them really good; no problems with the knots thus far.

I am pretty sure that I saw some RL's in Ravenal's in July (under the Hotel Alpina, just before the road bridge over the Arve) for around 85 Euros, but that mat have been a temporary special offer.

Seen the Camps but not used them.

Every chance of special offers just before the UTMB I would have thought.

Morgan