Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Meirionnydd Round.

Meirionnydd Round.

I have been quite intriuged by Yiannis's round, as I know the southern section well and sort of fancied a go sometime if ever fit enough (not a 24 hour go ). Spent Tues/Wed having a look at the section from Roman steps to Rhobell F. Ground I have never previously set foot on. I was carrying tent + everything, for the first ever time, so slow and steady was the order of the day in that heat.

The North Rhinog section is genius, all those 10 tops do link together; it took a lot of head scratching and map gazeing with my glasses on and then casting about for the paths, but I never went wrong . Fantastic section, I loved the ground.

From there on it's errr ..... harder. I took ages skirting bogs and lakes and working out the best lines (actually, any line that didn't end up waist deep in yuk), it was hard graft and I camped in the valley between Lago and Arenig Fach.

Next day was bigger climbs and more rough ground and navigation, easy to see where you're going, but how do I get there? Finished on top of Rhobell and then long road section back to car at Roman steps .

This is a fantastic round, I think you really need to be an 'all rounder' it's not simply about climbing strength, there is something of everything - the terrain really softens you up before chucking in another big ascent. Anyone attempting it needs some serious recce preparation.

I saw 2 walkers near the start, then not another human being for 2 days (other than road crossings) - some of it is a bit remote. Yiannis has put together a wonderfull hard challenge over fantastic Welsh countryside, it deserves a bit of attention, but be warned, I don't think anyone will find this easy .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Re: Meirionnydd Round.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I have been quite intriuged by Yiannis's round, as I know the southern section well and sort of fancied a go sometime if ever fit enough (not a 24 hour go ). Spent Tues/Wed having a look at the section from Roman steps to Rhobell F. Ground I have never previously set foot on. I was carrying tent + everything, for the first ever time, so slow and steady was the order of the day in that heat.

Yiannis has put together a wonderfull hard challenge over fantastic Welsh countryside, it deserves a bit of attention, but be warned, I don't think anyone will find this easy .
    Many thanks Molehill, I couldn't put it better myself. That was a long treck you did carrying so much gear.
    Route details can be found in: http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/
    I am more then keen to advise on route details and offer support.
    The Migneint/North Arenig section has got some seriously rough ground but that is what wilderness is all about.
    Yiannis

Wow - the Mole must be very fit at the moment!! Sounds like a great couple of days - and as you say, wild and remote country - we'll have to have another session up there soon.

I tried the Meiri a few years ago, but wasn't going quick enough and baled out at Dduallt (some another time hopefully...). It's a tough round, harder the the PBR IMHO - and you need to get the lines exactly right. AFAIK the only person to complete it, apart from ydt, is Colin Donnelly (solo!), but he went astray at the end hence went outside the 24h.

One small point: It is Carnedd Iago not Lago (confusing capital I looking like a small l on map).

Some of the heather between Carnedd Iago and Arenig Fach has been burnt since I did the round so it should make things a little easier.
    Yiannis

Reading glasses on and it'ssuddenly Iago !!

I remember reading about Colin D. attempt a few years back, always bore in mind that it must have been pretty special for him not to breeze round - even solo.

I can't see me attempting it now, I just don't have the time to put into recceing the North round, having seen how important the correct line is. South I know pretty well. But a couple of questions out of interest.

Off the road South of M. Llyfnant, I came up the valley to about 812320, then stuck to the Easterly side of the Mynydd Bryn-Llech ridge, above the valley floor, had a sheep trod most of the way ( a bit meandering) past Cefn y Griafolen to the ford below Dduallt. Was this correct or should I have climbed to top of the ridge ? Would it be better ground up there?

Dduallt to Rhobell Fawr, now how in heavens name do I get there. I followed the whole forestry fence line Southwards looking for a fire break etc. I thought they must have a way thru' somewhere. I got to 800254 and walked up the stream bed, interesting, but I never spotted another way. Is that it or is there a 'secret path' ? Trees may have grown since your round?

I went up Arenig Fach from NW slope, I can assure you the heather has grown again, a nightmare for those of us with short legs, and all the way down the other side.

Reading glasses on and it'ssuddenly Iago !!

I remember reading about Colin D. attempt a few years back, always bore in mind that it must have been pretty special for him not to breeze round - even solo.

I can't see me attempting it now, I just don't have the time to put into recceing the North round, having seen how important the correct line is. South I know pretty well. But a couple of questions out of interest.

Off the road South of M. Llyfnant, I came up the valley to about 812320, then stuck to the Easterly side of the Mynydd Bryn-Llech ridge, above the valley floor, had a sheep trod most of the way ( a bit meandering) past Cefn y Griafolen to the ford below Dduallt. Was this correct or should I have climbed to top of the ridge ? Would it be better ground up there?

Dduallt to Rhobell Fawr, now how in heavens name do I get there. I followed the whole forestry fence line Southwards looking for a fire break etc. I thought they must have a way thru' somewhere. I got to 800254 and walked up the stream bed, interesting, but I never spotted another way. Is that it or is there a 'secret path' ? Trees may have grown since your round?

I went up Arenig Fach from NW slope, I can assure you the heather has grown again, a nightmare for those of us with short legs, and all the way down the other side.
    Molehill,
    1. Between M Llyfnant and Dduallt you have got the route right. Don't go on the ridge, it is too much extra ascent.
    2. Dduallt to R Fawr: You can put the blame on OS maps. From Ddualt summit cross the fence NW to forest corner. Go downhill looking left all the time. You will pass an overgrown forest ride soon. Ignore it. Carry on to the next, more obvious forest ride, jump the fence and follow the grassy ride (roughly south) untill about 802262 (there might have been some tree felling around here). Turn right on slightly used ride/path to forest road (marked on 25k). Follow it left to forest corner on right. Jump fence and pick best line through valley then uphill (SW) to stile at 790258, etc.
    If you would like to carry on to the Arans, descend to forest edge at 799257 and follow undulating rough wilderness to gate at 820252 etc.
    I guarantee you will not meet many people around there.
    Yiannis

Fellhound

Inspiring stuff, this. Truly the pioneering spirit at it's best.

Regardless of times, it's the instigator of a route and the first few who follow him (or her!) who really capture the essence of ultra-distance fellrunning/mountaineering. More power to you guys!

Thanks Yiannis, a lot of the centre of the Bryn Melin area of forestry on your route is now quite fresh felled - but nowhere right to the fence edges as far as I could see. Hopefully the ride has not been obliterated by machinery and fallen rubbish.

The section where you return off Rhobell F. to head for the Arrans, 799257 (Ty-newydd-y-mynydd?) and back through forest, is now fairly good sized trees (dense enough to not go through easily). Looks like remnants of a fence/wall on the OS running West to East, I certainly saw no gaps when I passed on the Easterly forest edge as I was looking for a way through there. Perhaps just a short tree belt.

I shall return at some point in the summer, would be good to know up to date situation in case someone decides to try it.

Thanks Yiannis, a lot of the centre of the Bryn Melin area of forestry on your route is now quite fresh felled - but nowhere right to the fence edges as far as I could see. Hopefully the ride has not been obliterated by machinery and fallen rubbish.

The section where you return off Rhobell F. to head for the Arrans, 799257 (Ty-newydd-y-mynydd?) and back through forest, is now fairly good sized trees (dense enough to not go through easily). Looks like remnants of a fence/wall on the OS running West to East, I certainly saw no gaps when I passed on the Easterly forest edge as I was looking for a way through there. Perhaps just a short tree belt.

I shall return at some point in the summer, would be good to know up to date situation in case someone decides to try it.
    Dduallt to R Fawr: The forest ride starts at 805277. It is the second one as you go down along the forest edge. The OS maps never showed any of those rides. The satellite image on Google Earth is crystal clear. It shows the felled forest half way along. Turn right at 'T' junction where felling finishes and left at forest road. Go down a few hundred yards (Trees on right also felled recently) to fence junction and cross fence SW etc.
    R Fawr to Aran: There is a trod along that broken fence/wall that goes W-E. South of it the forest was felled before I did my round and it was rough. Now it is growing as seen on Google earth.
    Yiannis
    PS: If you reccie the Cadair Idris group please note the the OS map omits some forests around Braich Ddu. I wrote to them about it many years ago.