Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: Meirionnydd Round.

Re: Meirionnydd Round.

Sadly Stewart didn't make it, a damn good effort on a hard round.

But luckily I had taken the precaution of packing my fishing rod! So finding I had time to spare in the morning I went down to Barmouth bridge (where he was due to finish) and spent a couple of hours chucking a spinner out in the estuary - I've never fished here before and know very little about sea fishing.

To my complete amazement I caught 2 cracking Bass of 21/2lb & 4lb. Yummy, put the chips on Missus :thumbup:
    Last edited by molehill; 30-06-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: No sleep, can't write!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I hear there was a successful sub 24 hour completion last weekend, I don't know any details but congratulations Stewart.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I hear there was a successful sub 24 hour completion last weekend, I don't know any details but congratulations Stewart.
    That's great stuff. Would love to do it it's cracking terrain.

I haven't heard of any activity for the round this year and it needs to be this month really (for the best chance). Anyone know of attempts in the offing?

I do find it strange that the round receives so little interest, whilst everyone plugs away at the big 3, this offers such a great challenge over remote terrain. Oh well, another year passes...........

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I haven't heard of any activity for the round this year and it needs to be this month really (for the best chance). Anyone know of attempts in the offing?

I do find it strange that the round receives so little interest, whilst everyone plugs away at the big 3, this offers such a great challenge over remote terrain. Oh well, another year passes...........
    Matt, I agree with you. There are a couple of people interested at the moment.

Senior Member Happy on the hills's Avatar
    I know Tom Phillips Penrith was thinking of it as he emailed myself and Yiannis. I know of another guy local to the the round who's planning on it too, but i can't remember his name!
    Always happy on the hills

After doing the big 3 (not that they need to be completed first, it's probably a normal progression), its definitely a step up in terms of a challenge. I think the reasons it doesn't get many attempts are 3 fold
    1) it's a long way to travel for most, 2) it's seriously tough terrain which doesn't appeal to some, especially when Snowdonia NP is so close with its "easier ground", 3) taking it on when the veg has grown adds to its difficulty, which is most of the year after April. Oh and it's a relentlessly tough round that takes a lot of recceing. I am still tempted though ..... Maybe next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    After doing the big 3 (not that they need to be completed first, it's probably a normal progression), its definitely a step up in terms of a challenge. I think the reasons it doesn't get many attempts are 3 fold
    1) it's a long way to travel for most, 2) it's seriously tough terrain which doesn't appeal to some, especially when Snowdonia NP is so close with its "easier ground", 3) taking it on when the veg has grown adds to its difficulty, which is most of the year after April. Oh and it's a relentlessly tough round that takes a lot of recceing. I am still tempted though ..... Maybe next spring.
    .....recceing is so much better than doing the challenge!

Give it a go Allan, you know you want to! I hope some others have a crack as well.

It is undoubtedly a step up in terms of difficult terrain and navigation (finding a track, any track in places!) but with around 60 BG completions a year I think it odd that none are tempted by a more challenging adventure.

I wonder if there is less "adventure" in the modern fell runner?