Thread: Strides.

Strides.

Ive been reading in mags and on the internet to perform strides as part of training but i dont really know 100% what they are or how to do them. I tried doing them abit y'day when i took my dog for a run....running at normal speed with long strides as my common sence told me to do. But i feel a right plonker doing them and i didnt feel they benefited me.
    Any advise very welcome

Master

Re: Strides.

Quote Originally Posted by fowler765 View Post
    Ive been reading in mags and on the internet to perform strides as part of training but i dont really know 100% what they are or how to do them. I tried doing them abit y'day when i took my dog for a run....running at normal speed with long strides as my common sence told me to do. But i feel a right plonker doing them and i didnt feel they benefited me.
    Any advise very welcome

Fowler these are normally done as part of a warm-up i.e. striding the straights and jogging the bends of a running track.

They are done in place of/addition to stretching exercises, to overcome friction in the limbs.

To be effective they should be done close to full speed, with exaggerated stride length.

To be honest Fowler, at your level you shouldn't need to do them. Just concentrate on your longish runs and upping your steady state and as you get fitter, you'll naturally stride out more.