Thread: Advice on my Ultra training

Advice on my Ultra training

As some of you may know i am aiming to complete a double Lyke Wake crossing in july (84 miles) . My longest run is up to 13 hours now. Should i aim to do longer before the day? The ultra sites that i've read generally say no but what do others think e.g. what do people do before the BGR?
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Re: Advice on my Ultra trainin

No, not IMO. I never train over 6-8 hrs. I'll do 2-3 events a year of 9 plus hours. After that it's the mental, strategy, eating, drinking side which is important IMO. If you can run for 13 you can run for 23 if you get everything right.

I find that any longer than 6-8 hr days takes me too long to recover and takes a lot out of me, a 6 hr training run is a nice distance/time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    As some of you may know i am aiming to complete a double Lyke Wake crossing in july (84 miles) . My longest run is up to 13 hours now. Should i aim to do longer before the day? The ultra sites that i've read generally say no but what do others think e.g. what do people do before the BGR?
    Hi Alf,
    I agree with Iain (not that I'm an expert of anything!) but I think he's right about too long recovery time.
    I was trying to work out whereabouts we will pass on the day so I can shout you some support and offer you some sweeties!
    I will be setting off from Osmotherley at 6.30am I think aiming for a 8-9.5 hour crossing.
    Hope your training is going well anyway, you're a brave man!
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 20-05-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Cheers IainR and Mountain goatess , thanks for those comments , i suppose at times i doubt my completion even though i've done two 45 mile plus training runs and countless 30 milers.
    Mountain Goatess , i'll probably wear my Double Lyke Wake T shirt on the dayand carrying a camelbak, probably the red one. I start at 4am as i've put 12 hours to give me as much time as possible .
    Having fun with rucksack burns on my back at the mo, the things we go thru' eh?

Cheers IainR and Mountain goatess , thanks for those comments , i suppose at times i doubt my completion even though i've done two 45 mile plus training runs and countless 30 milers.
    Mountain Goatess , i'll probably wear my Double Lyke Wake T shirt on the dayand carrying a camelbak, probably the red one. I start at 4am as i've put 12 hours to give me as much time as possible .
    You'll be fine Alf. Looks like you've put in some great training days there!
    Hope to see you and cheer you on...I will have to catch up with you first though!
    Best of luck
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Alf - I had a single run of the Lyke Wake penciled in for Late August/September, now I am thinking it's not enough, these ideas are dangerous
    With my limited experience I feel you will be OK, like has been said on the thread it's mostly mental and strategy and by the sounds of it you have these on your side already.

These big days out do take a lot of recovery from, more than I anticipated. I did a 17 mile walk around the wolds the Sat after the Woldsman and that was the moment that revelation twigged!

Can't wait to hear how you get one.

Many thanks for all of the kind words. Training is going well , jogged around The Mallerstang Yomp with my (very tired) brother. Managing to do 80 mile weeks but this one is definately the last and i'll start tapering down. For anyone who gets Athletes Weekly , i'm on an advert for The Blue Cross with my Doggy(Rain) , it's for the royal parks Half marathon.
    For those doing the Lyke Wake , see you on the day, it's fairly dry at the moment up there :for any who haven't been up, nowhere near as wet as last year. Regards Alf

Many thanks for all of the kind words. Training is going well , jogged around The Mallerstang Yomp with my (very tired) brother. Managing to do 80 mile weeks but this one is definately the last and i'll start tapering down. For anyone who gets Athletes Weekly , i'm on an advert for The Blue Cross with my Doggy(Rain) , it's for the royal parks Half marathon.
    For those doing the Lyke Wake , see you on the day, it's fairly dry at the moment up there :for any who haven't been up, nowhere near as wet as last year. Regards Alf
    Alf,
    Glad the training is going well. I'm out of this now due to injury but I may be helping out with the marshalling instead, if so will give you a shout and some sugary goodies!
    All the best
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Sorry to hear about your injury Mountain Goatess , hope it's not too serious.Hope you recover soon.
    Be nice to see a friendly face on the day.
    Regards Alf

Thumbs up Advice on my Ultra training

Here's a good site for longer race info. & training.

Regards,

Max.

http://west-highland-way-race07-trai...com/index.html
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.