Page 437 of 457 FirstFirst ... 337387427435436437438439447 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,370 of 4564

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Jackdaws! I kind of like them, but they do appear to have increased in numbers in my area in the last few years. Anyone else notice a rise in their population?

After living here for decades, it was a few years ago when I had to take action to mesh off the chimney pots once I noticed they were dropping sticks down to nest build. Then, last winter, they were emptying the bird-feeders of kgs of peanuts in a few minutes, needing drastic action to ensure more equal shares with the other birds visiting the garden.

To be frank, I enjoyed the challenge of devising a system that gave the chaffinches, blue-tits and the like a fair chance, but also allowed bigger birds like the local woodpeckers some access. This spring though, even without the tempting attraction of bird food, they're often squawking around at first light (4:00 am ish!), which is probably their way of getting their own back - such bright little critters
    Am Yisrael Chai

A female redstart in the garden. Very characteristic - bright orange tail.

I've never seen one in the garden before.

Quietly building a drystone wall north of Otley/Ilkley, Looked up to see a Merlin fly by close and low. Have regularly seen deer, buzzards and Kestrels at this job. Not seen a Merlin for ages.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Notable wildlife seen on my recent Cumbrian visit. On the fells above Eskdale: a newt crawling past my feet as I sat down to eat, and a very large black beetle crossing a path. While cycling along the Birkby Road (south bank of the Esk, towards Muncaster), a red squirrel ran into the road and then back into the woods. From the train on the Leven viaduct, a large crowd of egrets.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Newt crawling past your feet sounds nice.

That reminds me: goldcrest in the garden a few days ago - I've not seen one here before. But that's probably more to do with my observational skills. Goldcrests are one of those birds that's more common than you think.

Not an encounter but an observation.

Whilst taking the dogs for a walk today I noticed that there is a dearth of hawthorn berries in my neck of the woods this year. The Fieldfares and Redwings are in for a shock when they arrive!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Down here the hawthorn are laden with berries and the migratory blackbirds have arrived in the garden and are stripping the trees of berries.
    Different areas I suppose, not been so dry here all summer and been a bumper year for all berries
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Willow warbler still picking insects and stuff around the buddleia in the back garden this morning. Thought they'd headed south weeks ago. Must be the warm autumn weather (so far!).
    Am Yisrael Chai

I get those (I think) but can't tell them from chiffchaffs. How do you tell them apart?

Well, we certainly don't get those chiffchavs ( ) in Teesdale.

Seriously, it looked like it had lighter coloured legs and no noticeable tail wagging. Also, I've only heard warblers in the hedgerow this summer and I've never heard a chiffchaff around and about my house, ever! So on the balance of probabilities I went WW.
    Am Yisrael Chai