Page 432 of 456 FirstFirst ... 332382422430431432433434442 ... LastLast
Results 4,311 to 4,320 of 4560

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    A herd of about 20 red deer, at least one of which had large antlers, on today's run up towards Wincle Minn. They were in a field but all bounced over a fence when they saw me.

Nice to see, but I'm a little less well disposed to deer having pulled a tick of my leg after the weekend trip to the Lakes. Thankfully no target-shaped rash, or flu-like symptoms yet, but I'm keeping vigilant as I hear these can develop a while later.
    Tick awareness becomes pretty much a way of life when you live in the Lakes and spend a lot of time in Scotland especially when you camp/and Bivy.

A little light reading for you :- http://https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/i...in%20the%20UK.

Does anybody Know how HANNEKE`s recovery from Lymes went?

Here is a old thread on ticks from 2014 :-

https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...ighlight=TICKS
    Last edited by JohnK; 17-11-2021 at 06:43 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

A herd of about 20 red deer, at least one of which had large antlers, on today's run up towards Wincle Minn. They were in a field but all bounced over a fence when they saw me.

Nice to see, but I'm a little less well disposed to deer having pulled a tick of my leg after the weekend trip to the Lakes. Thankfully no target-shaped rash, or flu-like symptoms yet, but I'm keeping vigilant as I hear these can develop a while later.
    Wear tights everywhere, that's what i do.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks both. Forewarned is forearmed.

That's a good point about tights - I should get some thin ones for when it's not cold enough for winter long legs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Agreed - I wear them year round - I use 2XUs - they do not make me too hot, and they also provide a degree of compression.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Agreed - I wear them year round - I use 2XUs - they do not make me too hot, and they also provide a degree of compression.
    So I guess a something like this for camping/Bivvying :-

https://www.morphsuits.co.uk/arachno...rphsuit-mlarom
    The older I get the Faster I was

a good repellent will keep them off too. I did a long run in scotland in shorts. covered my arms and legs in smidge and didn't have any there....but had 5 on my chest that I hadn't put repellent on...so long legs make a difference but repellent works better

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    a good repellent will keep them off too. I did a long run in scotland in shorts. covered my arms and legs in smidge and didn't have any there....but had 5 on my chest that I hadn't put repellent on...so long legs make a difference but repellent works better
    I use Mosi-guard on my arms/neck/ears/around my waist. This, combined with my 2XU tights: I have never had any ticks.

Thanks both. Forewarned is forearmed.

That's a good point about tights - I should get some thin ones for when it's not cold enough for winter long legs.
    Cheap ones don't fit well, some manufacturers make both poorly fitting and good fitting tights at a variety of prices. Asics are known to me for this. Best fit was the skins A400 which is now discontinued and replaced with three other confusing options.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Today on Bleaklow, midway between Dowstone Clough and Hern Stones a Mountain Hare.

Its ears, apart from the tips, and head were white as was its rear quarters but the main part of its body was still brown.

A wonderful sight.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    There is an undulating gravel footpath at Brathay that goes from the main building to the lake. It has a 3 foot 6 inch wire fence on both sides, and is about 6 feet wide and 1/4 mile long. Yesterday there was young deer running away from me on the footpath, but the gate at the lake end was closed, and I did wonder what it was going to do. Of course it effortlessly jumped the fence - why it waited until it was almost at the gate I have no idea.