Page 430 of 431 FirstFirst ... 330380420428429430431 LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,300 of 4302

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Apparently rose hip syrup is very rich in vitamin C. I've not made it for years. I might give it a go again - given the abundance in the hedgerows.

Goldcrest, flitting around the birch tree in my garden. It stayed long enough for me to dash into the other room to get my binoculars.

Great spot. A bonus of having coniferous woodland nearby.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Spotted a Red Kite on the hills outside Shap this afternoon, and a Heron at Eamont Bridge, just to the south of Penrith.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Goldcrest, flitting around the birch tree in my garden. It stayed long enough for me to dash into the other room to get my binoculars.
    Rookie mistake. I keep my Carl Zeiss Soviet issue in the drawer with the tea towels.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Oh, and Gary the kung-fu fighting Wood Pigeon is now quite tame and will eat nuts that are thrown at him.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Saw a big herd of about 30 deer (including a big Stag) whilst out on the Hodgson relay route today. I think the leg 1 runners may have disturbed them, and they seemed to be heading from the flanks of the Hayeswater valley over into Bannerdale. A magnificent sight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Saw a big herd of about 30 deer (including a big Stag) whilst out on the Hodgson relay route today. I think the leg 1 runners may have disturbed them, and they seemed to be heading from the flanks of the Hayeswater valley over into Bannerdale. A magnificent sight.
    Probably part of the Martindale Herd the oldest native red deer herd in England.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I did the Saunders in this area a few years ago, and one of the teams found a set of antlers (well half a set), which they carried around for the remaining day and a half, strapped to their pack. Lucky blighters. I've mooched around these fells for years trying to find a set, with no luck.

Also a few years ago, I was running back to Askham from High Street, along the ridge, somewhere between Red Crag and Wether Hill, when a herd of red deer came galloping up and over (presumably spooked by something) from the Howtown side and for a few seconds I found myself enveloped and running among them, before they descended towards Haweswater. Quite a special moment.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I did the Saunders in this area a few years ago, and one of the teams found a set of antlers (well half a set), which they carried around for the remaining day and a half, strapped to their pack. Lucky blighters. I've mooched around these fells for years trying to find a set, with no luck.
    I found an antler during a recce walk on my one and only visit to Jura. I've still got it 38 years later, although my wife has consigned it to the garden shed.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges